free website stats program Broken Timing Sensor Plate Screw | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Timing Sensor Plate Screw

jammerx....

Riding in China is like one of those old fashioned "Demolition Derby's" I used to go to when I was living in the States.

If you take the State Side traffic laws, (which China's traffic laws pretty much are copied from the States) and then instead of 300 Milliion people figure it at 1.3 Billion people with the number of cars doubling almost every two years and add to the mix 95% of the people ignoring EVERY road rule... you have it!

China is infested with un licensed three wheelers (usually 125 CC engines) posing as taxis and almost every household driving a small motorcycle or a motor scooter... many of them "no license required", throw donkey drawn carts on every road except Toll Road expressways, non enforcement of tail lights at night... and double yellow lines in the center of the road meaning " pass only when another vehicle is approaching" (Pun intended) youu have a small idea what it is like!

The other day I was riding and this guy came up beside me on the right (riding a 125 CC of some Chinese make) and was gawking at my ride.... even being a 98 Springer, it still looks really good... and of course mine is the only one in the entire county... so he was transfixed and eventually ran right into two pedestrians... fortunately only a few scratches and bruises...

One night a few months back I was driving (car this time... ) and all of a sudden this car about 300 meters in front of me just dissappeared. Was quite surprised so slowed way down and crawled up to about where he was when he went missing and there he was inside this huge hole they had dug during the day... un marked, un lit and deep enough for the Audi he was driving to be down inside of.... a very common thing...

So... riding in China, until one gets up in the mountains away from the masses, is totally being aware of EVERYTHING going on around you... of course, that is as it should be I suppose!

Other than that, riding here is cool. They love the Harley look and sound and no matter where I go I'm always getting the "thumbs up" from both pedestrians and other drivers. Also when parked, there is always a crowd of people standing around the bike looking and gawking and guess how much it costs and how many CC it is with the closest guess so far being 700 CC.... <grin> When i tell them it's 1340 CC they nod and smile and one knows they just don't believe it!

One more thing... In Beijing and Shanghai, long under Western culture influence, the above things I wrote are not so true... but those are just two cities in China and believe me, China is a big place!

Cheers!

To bring this thread to conclusion, here is what happened.

I removed the cone and used a 3/32 drill bit to drill a hole in the broken screw shaft. This part worked fine. Then I self fabricated an easy out (not available here) and attempted to back out the broken screw. That didin't work... probably my easy out wasn't good enough or the diameter of the hole was too small.

Next I carefully drilled a slightly larger hole and pretty much felt I had everything out of there but there were no threads left. (My bad for sure)

Decided to follow TQ's suggestion (above) and go with a long bolt but first I had to rethread the hole. In re threading, the tap broke off in the hole... Oh my...

Took the cone to a local machine shop along with the broken studd and the non broken stuff as well and the end results were pretty good.

He drilled out the broken tap, retapped the hole and then made a matching stud complete with a larger end. It all worked perfectly and I'm back on the road again!

The really beautiful thing about this is I had located the studs at Latus HD and they were going to ship them to me. The price of the pair of studs was $6.50 and the shipping (to China) was $54.00.... this was a great motivator in my going to the machine shop. The total charge at the machine shop was 50.00 Chinese RMB which converted to US Dollars is $7.50. Hurray for the savings! <grin>

I suppose, now knowing that one of the studs inside the cone is not right (even though it is working fine now) will eventually motivate me to either heliarcing the whole and setting it up the right diameter or getting a new cone... but for now "Blackie" is riding good!

Thank you to everyone for your input!

Last edited:
Excellent!!

We have operations in China. So with the one good stud that you have from the other side, you can get an EXACT copy made. It will be as good as the original.

TQ

OOWF, very good story and very glad it had a happy ending. Never been to China, but it is on my Bucket list as well. Ride well, I know you have the Ride safe well in hand running a big bore machine in the midst of "mayhem"...

Back