Broken Stud Bolt

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by dale0202, Jun 26, 2010.

1. dale0202

dale0202 Member

I finally decided to purchase and install the HD oil cooler today after oil temps hit about 270. Everything was going great until I put the torque wrench on the mounting nut. After a few turns, and before the torque wrench clicked, I snapped the stud bolt. I figured I would just replace the stud bolt and pulled everything back off. Unfortunately, the stud didn't come out after I tapped it with a hammer a few times. Is it actually welded in place or do I just need to keep tapping?

2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

heat usually works...good luck...

3. Tucson_Tim

Tucson_Tim Account Removed

Sorry to hear that. Like ultrat said, try heat. Soak it with liquid wrench (although this is not real effective with bolts/studs where loctite has been used). You might try grabbing it with a vice grips.

I'm going to install the H-D Premium Oil Cooler soon so I am very curious about which stud broke. Did this happen when you were torquing down the 7/16 hex key? Can you post a picture?

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Also before heating it let some good quality penetrating oil soak on it overnight.
    kemo

5. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

Something I have had luck with is after heating bolt drop some candle wax on bolt, hot wax seems to work even when others will not.

6. dale0202

dale0202 Member

It is the stud that fastens the voltage regulator to the bike. I can feel the bottom of the stud. It is round and feels painted. I wasn't sure if the paint was that tough and was holding it in place when I tapped the broken stud from the top or if it was tack welded in place. I assumed it would just drop out of place when I tapped it from the top, but it didn't.

7. ultrat

i think it screws in...

8. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

This is where I feal realy fortunate.I have a tool at my disposal from work called the inductor.A flameless heat source cure all. Have a look as they've come out with a more economized version.

Induction Innovations, Inc. :: New Mini-Ductor II

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

Nice tool, I sure could have used that a few hundred times myself :D

10. ultrat

wow ,,,,that should cut down on fires...........................nice tool...