free website stats program Broken sprocket, can I cheat it for long? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken sprocket, can I cheat it for long?

You would be in for the ride of a lifetime if the belt comes off and drops into the wheel (can you say sudden stoppage?). Not only that but you could probably do some damage to the trans and front pulley in the bargain.

Live without it for a few days.

Better check the vehicle alignment also because that might have caused your problem. As well as the turnbuckles on the motor mounts

I can't comment on the likelihood of the belt coming off within a given time frame, but I would bet money that if it DID come off and get caught in the wheel, and you're going highway speeds, it won't matter at all to you what happens to the tranny or front sprocket. Might make some difference to your estate, however.

Don't do it. Live to ride another day. We get messed up enough by others without doing it to ourselves.

(Off of soapbox, now. Move along, nothing else to see here.)

Thought about welding it. It's like pot metal. Figured it would be like tack welding a cymbal back together. Probably should have tried it.
But I figured I'd have to take it off (along with wheel) to do it right, and I found a good, low-mileage one on Ebay for $50, plus $12 shipping. New one is more than three times that much.
Might be peanuts to some of you guys. Not me.
I always do my own maintenance, lovingly and as cheaply as possible. My ride runs perfect, goes 75 miles every day that it doesn't rain or snow.
BTW, the sprocket inner ring broke off at 42,000 miles. I'm guessing it's really not all that rare. I'll post some pictures.
It happened to me and I tried to put it back on without any luck. My insurance bought me a new wheel assy and sprockets ( Under comprehensive) because of the damage caused by the ring flopping around on the hub and scratching the heck out of it.. Want to buy a rim????`:s

I sincerely apologise for my earlier post, and am glad that it has been edited by a moderator.

Please please ask yourself this question.....

If I ride my bike knowing it is in an unsafe condition, and I have an accident which injures or kills somebody's father, mother, sister, brother or child, can I live with myself.

Postscript: My Ebay sprocket arrived on time. Wound up buying a $75 one that came off a bike with 10,000 miles on it. Like new - way - better than my old one. Put a fresh tire on the back (also from Ebay, like new used, $50 delivered) spin balance at the dealer. Riding perfect.
Two conclusions: My belt was a little loose, which no doubt contributed to sprocket failure at 42,000 miles. (CHECK YOUR BELT REGULARLY)
And while I listened to you guys as far as my daily commute (75 miles, half at interstate speeds), I did ride my broken sproket Glide for jaunts around the neighorhood. Belt stayed on just fine without the inner ring.
Cheers.

Back