free website stats program Broken speedo cable | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken speedo cable

aussieone

Hi all new to forum 1st post ty

I have an 1985 fxst The Problem is speedo cable is broken and I read about the jewellers screw at the base of the speedo drive needs to be removed to extract cable from speedo drive never done this b4 so thought i would have a crack at it . The problem it the head of the screw is minimal and I am unable to get a hold of it with the even a jewellers screw driver seems it may have to be drilled out (is this a good idea?)what I would like to know is dose this screw thread into the speedodrive and apply pressure to the cable stopping it coming out or does the speedo drive hole act as a guide so this small screw is thread into cable cap
Im still awaiyng a cable so have no idea
Sorry if it sound strange
how would you go about repairing and replacing cable
Thankyou any help would be appreciated
Rob

I'm not sure which screw your refering to but have you tried an allen wrench (hex)?

g'day at the base of speedo drive there is a small screw that locks i assume the speedo cable in the head is worn it is barely a slotnothing will grip it amazes me why they used such a screw why not a grub screw heaps better
the srew is less than 1/8 round with slot cut in top but well worn
I think this screw is screwed into the speedo drive then applies pressure to the speedo cable which you screw into the speedo drive then the screw clamps it so dont move????
BTW thanks for the reply

The screw holds the cable HOUSING from coming out of the drive. Depending on where the cable is broken, you may be able to remove it from the top of the housing.

I would be careful of drilling it out, if you damage the threads in the housing, you'll be replacing it.

hello glider
only way to get to top of housing is to cut the cable..
Does this screw pase into the speedo cable or just apply pressure to outside holding it there.
I assume you mean i would damage the thread the cable screwed into not the
speedo drive ???

be glad to here how you would approach getting it out thankyou glider and help appreciated

I routinely remove the inner metal speedo cable to clean and lubricate it. If you can remove all the broken inner metal cable then you can just install a new one without removing the outer cable from the drive. If you do have to remove the speedo drive then it involves removing the front wheel. It depends how much time you want to invest getting the old parts to work as opposed to installing new ones. Best of luck - Bob

hello glider
only way to get to top of housing is to cut the cable..
Does this screw pase into the speedo cable or just apply pressure to outside holding it there.
I assume you mean i would damage the thread the cable screwed into not the
speedo drive ???

be glad to here how you would approach getting it out thankyou glider and help appreciated

Why can't you unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo to remove the inner drive cable?

The screw just applies pressure to the cable housing to keep it from working out (unscrewing) from the drive unit.

Thankyou glider
I removed front wheel to get at the speedo drive your information was spot on the screw is only for locking in the cap once I was able to get s good grip with multi Grips i was able to screw the cable out i think previous owner used loctite make it harded than normal
once again thankyou to yourself and evryone that assist
all the best

Back