free website stats program Broken Engine Guard mount | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Engine Guard mount

ScreamR

Last night I clipped my engine guard in a parking lot, which has now broken the upper screw mount in the frame. Is this something that can be easily fixed or will a new bracket (if available) need to be welded back on? I haven't gone to look at any other bikes to see how it "should" look. Not sure if this was a bolt-on bracket or if it was welded into the frame. Right now, the 2 lower bolts are holding it on. I'm sure this happens all of the time, so hopefully it's a pretty simple solution.

That will have to be welded back on with a wire welder, cover everything up real good with sheet metal before welding to prevent weld splash. Then clean it up with a wire brush and repaint. Not a big problem at all and common.
John

You might want to keep the ground from the mig close to the weld area of the frame. A few inches from ground clamp to the weld area, so the current only travels that far and not thru other components Just in case. I have welded on trucks with ECM'S and the Dealers say just keep the ground close to the work and it should be fine. Just don't hook the ground to the engine or trans or engine mounts ect. So the current won't pass thru them, I have heard of problems with bearings and such when current goes thru them. You should be fine. We used to unhook the ECM on trucks and car's, but I'm not sure on a Harley.

These guys are right,have it welded,but disconnect the battery first and have the welder spray spatter spray on the surrounding areas,then cover what you can.You can wipe off the spatter spray later but any errant sparks won't stick if they hit a sprayed area.It can be welded with an arc. welder(electrode) or a mig. welder (wire)

Thanks guys. I'm looking into a couple of local machine shops around my house to find somebody that knows what they're doing and is willing to work on it. NONE of the H-D dealers even want to touch this job. They all claim that the motor company doesn't want them to modify frames. Its understandable (a cop out) but I'm not going to have my insurance company TOTAL my 2 month old bike because of one bolt hole. A simple job like this shouldn't be too bad. If done well, nobody should even be able to notice it.

BTW - the PN for a new chrome Touring engine guard (not listed on Harley website or catalog) is 49184-09 and MSRP is around $195. 49184-97 for previous years 1997 through 2008.

Don't look around at machine shops,just go to a plain old welding shop, you don't need a machinest

Back