free website stats program Broken Bolt | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Bolt

Wheel is aluminum or composition alloy. I don't think there is enough room for the bolts to fully back out of the holes with the pulley installed but once they are backed out the results are posted above when they shear off.

First thing I would find out is if they had the pulley off when doing the tire. Even if they didn't have the pulley off the outer part can be removed from the inner part for checking the bolt torques without a problem.

Wheel is aluminum or composition alloy. I don't think there is enough room for the bolts to fully back out of the holes with the pulley installed but once they are backed out the results are posted above when they shear off.

First thing I would find out is if they had the pulley off when doing the tire. Even if they didn't have the pulley off the outer part can be removed from the inner part for checking the bolt torques without a problem.

I agree. No matter how you slice it the dealer was the last one to see the bolts to make sure they were tightened to specs.

I think the noise you heard was the bolts skimming the inside of the lugs on the pulley.
There looks to be no way the bolts could make contact with the swing arm.
If they'd touched the swing arm,you'd have marks on the underneath of the left side arm.
I had this happen on my 1999 FLHR,cost me a new wheel,and I later learned that this was the result of a tyre change.I'm still kicking myself,it was the first time in 40 odd years that I didn't fit my own tyre.It was a general tyre shop,that did lots of bikes,but not Harleys.It seems with the standard tire machine used for cars,that the pulley fouls the bar that removes the tyre,so they must have removed it.
In the case of the 2008 models,I think the manual tells you to remove the pulley,as when you turn the wheel over,it could fall off.
A Harley dealer would not need to remove it for clearance,as he'd have a tyre rig with vertical arms that would clear it with the pulley in place.

Back