free website stats program Broken Bolt | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Bolt

Is that a virgin assembly since the bike was built? Has anyone taken the assembly apart in the past for any reason. My Dyna does not have a system like that, so I am not familiar with reasons for removing it or taking it apart (ie tire change,,, belt change,, rear wheel bearings replaced etc).

I will just go with the flow on the verdict, but for me I still have unanswered questions. The above is very important to know because I am sure those bolts (similar to my rear belt pulley) are red loctite from the factory. When I went to change my rear tire last summer I wanted to remove the pulley in order to make the job easier. Forget it,,, I left it attached because I would have had to heat it in order to get those bolts out. Those bolts were not going anywhere.

Mind you it's just a theory and I have never owned an IDS system, but my guess is those bolts were secured using loctite from the factory. If they were removed since 2008 and re-installed, that could be where the problem occurred. Mind you, just a theory or a "loose end" as Columbo would say.:)

... ... .. .... ..
but my guess is those bolts were secured using loctite from the factory. If they were removed since 2008 and re-installed, that could be where the problem occurred. Mind you, just a theory or a "loose end" as Columbo would say.:)

Well I surmise you could mean re-installed improperly with new bolts. But also as I said earlier, IF the SAME bolts were RE-installedl, that is a problem.
I am posting below the exact wording On page 2-13 of my 2007 H.D. Dyna Repair manual. in the area of reassembly of rear wheel components it says,
-------------Begin manual
CAUTION:
Do not re-use sprocket mounting screws.
Re-using sprocket mounting screws can result
in torque loss and damage to the sprocket and/or
belt assembly.
Using new screws, install belt sprocket.
-------------End manual

I personally would not trust any of these chrome bolts I've read about on my sprocket. And any time my grade 8 bolts come out, they are going in the recycle bin. I do the same thing with riser bolts since I heard so many stories of them snapping (which I surmise is partially a result of higher bars that emit a greater torque on the bolts). And again I hope everyone who reads this that does not already, inpects the sprocket bolts on every pre-ride.

I wouldn't say "a LOT" but there have been some breaking. If you realize all the IDS pulleys that are on the road on all touring bikes from 07 on, the broken ones are only a very small percentage of them. Most could probably be attributed to improper installation.

I wouldn't say "a LOT" but there have been some breaking. If you realize all the IDS pulleys that are on the road on all touring bikes from 07 on, the broken ones are only a very small percentage of them. Most could probably be attributed to improper installation.

Glider you are right, we only talk about the ones that fail.

I've seen the pdf on the make up of the IDS drive and it is pretty explicite on not reusing the bolts and the replacements come with blue loctite applied. It is also very clear that the old residue must be cleaned with soap and water and a nylon brush, not wire. Would someone show the complete assembly, as shown in the manual, to the rear wheel? I do find it strange that the warrenty excludes this item. Donny Pederson wrote an article in American Iron Mag. on the IDS and while it did not mention problems, he was not sure if this was an improvement or enhancement meant to hide the gear whine or compensator weakness. Time will tell if it is a design failure or maintenence issue. My bet is on after care maintenence, and failure to follow instructions on reinstallation.

Since I did have the rear tire replace in June of 09 does anyone think the IDS could have been removed and put back on then?

Since I did have the rear tire replace in June of 09 does anyone think the IDS could have been removed and put back on then?

In your manual does it state that it should be removed to replace the tire?

Back