free website stats program Broken Bolt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Bolt

I have a brother who we call "one bolt". He was riding down the road and complaining to his wife that her necklace was making too much noise (rattling), I'm not kidding here, guys. Upon his next burnout, he discovered that he had only one bolt holding his rear wheel sprocket. The rattling he heard while riding was his sprocket banging against the hub. The other four bolts had sheared off from carving his initials in the street with his tire.

I'm not sayin' this applies here, I'm just sayin'... :s

No upgrades to the rear. The only thing that has been done to the rear was tire and breaks replaced back in June of 09 which was about 5,000 miles ago and was done by the same dealer.

There was no mention to the cush drive. Listed below is what I am told is needed:

Sprocket Assy
Isolator, rubber
Compensator Bowl

Sleeve, front and RR Wheel
Rear Wheel
Ball Bearing 25 MM
Ball Bearing 2 Row Exten

Parts in red are the cush drive.

By chance do you know if they removed the pulley assembly when replacing the tire? Normally it wouldn't be removed but just looking for a cause.

This is on the pretense of there are no dumb questions.

If the rear bearing failed, could the engine have enough torque at speed to rip the pulley off?

I have a brother who we call "one bolt". He was riding down the road and complaining to his wife that her necklace was making too much noise (rattling), I'm not kidding here, guys.

Jammr - too funny

Parts in red are the cush drive.

By chance do you know if they removed the pulley assembly when replacing the tire? Normally it wouldn't be removed but just looking for a cause.

Thanks Glider! I was told the pulley assembly was not removed when the tire was replaced.

I would be very surprised that all the bolts sheered at the same time, and if all the bolts were loose you would have had to hear or feel something. Is that a misspelling on compensator bowl?

HDDon - I doubt all sheared off at the same time too, this would be very odd. There is no misspelling here, compensator bowl is what I am being told.

Not sure what you mean by the bolt broke.

Poser - I am just as confused as you are. :15:

Thanks for all of the post and questions! I am wondering now that when I felt the initial jerk if that was when possibly 1 bolt sheared off then after driving more caused the rest of the damage?

The important thing here is that both you and your son are safe and that the only damage was to the bike. If you can get any pictures posted maybe we can give you some insight as to what went wrong or what failed first. The cush drive is not something new, I had something like it on my '75Z1B Kawasaki, and never had a problem. With the pulley bolts loctited in place it would be almost impossible (IMO) for all of them to come loose, but stranger things have happened. This is probably a good lesson for all of us to pay close attention to our rides. Please keep us informed on any progress you make on finding out just what happened.

On the post about doing burn outs... obviously it's hard on a bike. But there stuff some guys do that it just as hard on a bike if not worse. Like goosing the throttle on and off repeatedly as you're rolling through town. I know it looks and sounds cool, like you wanna race or something, but that torque slapping on and off has got to be tuff on almost evey part in the driveline.

Not saying thats the cause here...

While on a trip with my 11 year old son last weekend my 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide left me stranded. Right after leaving for breakfast we felt a jerk heard metal grinding then about 5 miles later the bike would not go. The belt would turn but not the wheel. I was able to get a local to come and get me with his flatbed trailer, get me back to the cabin I was stay at while I waited for my brother in law to come with his trailer and get us home. While my son and I was bummed we could not finish our trip we were glad we were safe and realize the situation could have been much worse.

Thanks guys and gals!

Why would you ride 5 miles with a grinding sound? That seams on the side of extremely dangerous!

Back