free website stats program broke shifter rod | Harley Davidson Forums

broke shifter rod

1moretime

can some one help?

i droped my 09 dynna super glide fxd, and broke the shifter road that goes through the primary. easy part to buy, but i didnt know you have to take all the primary box apart to fix it, i dont want to open it up becouse its new 700miles on it. im 5ft 4in, and forward controls my not work, i could do the work my self nut need i manual, any advice would be great. thank you

broken shifter rod

I posted a thread early and thier my have been some confusion with what i wrote. i ment the shifter rod that goes through the primary housing had been broken, ( droped the bike) the bike has mid controls. i've been looking at this for about a day trying to see how to fix this without coming out of pocket alot $$$$. but i think the best way to go would be forward controls, however i'll need a set that i could reach, also ive noticed that when the rod broken the lincage that leads to the trans seems to be off slitly, if you understand. i dont the name of the leaver that is to leads to the a trans. i cant ride it now but im really concerned if i broken anything in the trans, how can i check? i have an 2009 dynna super glide fxd, 700+miles, and is any of this coverd in my extended warrenty?

I doubt anything would be covered under warranty being the bike was down causing the damage.

I also doubt there is any trans damage being the shift linkage and shift arm would be sacrificed first before any damage to the actual trans occurred.

I agree about the forward controls too but was going to mention it above until you mentioned a 5ft 4in height. I still think it would work and eliminate the removal of the inner primary to repair the stock linkages.

can some one help?

i droped my 09 dynna super glide fxd, and broke the shifter road that goes through the primary. easy part to buy, but i didnt know you have to take all the primary box apart to fix it, i dont want to open it up becouse its new 700miles on it. im 5ft 4in, and forward controls my not work, i could do the work my self nut need i manual, any advice would be great. thank you

As I understand it, you broke the shifter shaft that runs through the primary chaincase. I am sure that the foot shifter arm and foot peg were damaged. What exactly broke on the shifter shaft?

I understand that your bike has less than a thousand miles on it, but I still think you should pull the primary off and replace the shifter shaft. Not that big a project. Also, with the damage that you describe, was the outer primary cover not damaged? I would want to clean it up very carefully and inspect the cover and the inner primary cover for cracks.

Just MHO.

TQ

Back