free website stats program Broke on vacation please help fast!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broke on vacation please help fast!!

Jonas, What I had to do with the pictures is save them to a folder and then use another "viewer" to allow me to zoom in on them.
The thing is the OP's bike is an 883 and these prints are for a 1200 so I don't know if my theory holds water. But the wire colors seem to match what the OP has on his bike.

What really is interesting to me is how HD designed the kill button to have "supervised lines". That is clever on their part. Lets just say the kill circuit was designed around a Normally Open push button. If that was the case, the OP's bike would continue to run with the broken cable and he would have no emergency kill switch if one was needed.

But wiring it with a normally closed instead of a normally open switch forces the kill circuit to monitor itself for breaks in the wiring harness. That is a smart idea and it did not really add to the cost of the design at all for the MoCo.

We will see if any of this turns out to be true.

Jonas, What I had to do with the pictures is save them to a folder and then use another "viewer" to allow me to zoom in on them.
The thing is the OP's bike is an 883 and these prints are for a 1200 so I don't know if my theory holds water. But the wire colors seem to match what the OP has on his bike.

What really is interesting to me is how HD designed the kill button to have "supervised lines". That is clever on their part. Lets just say the kill circuit was designed around a Normally Open push button. If that was the case, the OP's bike would continue to run with the broken cable and he would have no emergency kill switch if one was needed.

But wiring it with a normally closed instead of a normally open switch forces the kill circuit to monitor itself for breaks in the wiring harness. That is a smart idea and it did not really add to the cost of the design at all for the MoCo.

We will see if any of this turns out to be true.

This is good advice

Place a jumper wire between that black wire on the fuse and the black & white wire of the coil. This will also keep the integrity of the fuse and it's protection.

I do not see anyway the Emergency Switch can be NO. I see you are using a CLYMERs. I have a couple of them too. They show the switch like yours NO (I think it just the generic switch symbol for them. I looked at a HD Manual wiring to see if it was better. (Not)

There is no such thing as a generic switch symbol. A symbol for a switch must always be shown in the correct logic state. If the actual switch proves to be in-fact Normally closed, the schematic was not proof read or was proof read and the incorrect symbol was an oversight.

If there was a generic switch symbol with no concern for logic state, all schematics would be impossible to read and follow.

There is no such thing as a generic switch symbol. A symbol for a switch must always be shown in the correct logic state. If the actual switch proves to be in-fact Normally closed, the schematic was not proof read or was proof read and the incorrect symbol was an oversight.

If there was a generic switch symbol with no concern for logic state, all schematics would be impossible to read and follow.

I was really just refering to Clymers. If you think it difficult to figure it out from their wiring diagram, look at Harleys. Maybe it is shown in the off position (what is normal?)

All safety switches are wired to provide a safe mode should the wire break. This is the most common failure mode for a wire. A headlight switch is shown on a schematic in it's off state which is NO. I would assume that the kill switch NO is also in the off position. If the bike starts with the bars in only one possition then you would think all the Guru's here are calling the wire issue spot on.
Did you mention where you are on vacation? if you are in SW MI I could help with parts and tools.

All safety switches are wired to provide a safe mode should the wire break.

Not trying to split hairs but I would not use the word "All". A perfect example of the opposite is the kill switch circuit for most all lawnmowers. Lets take a 15 HP lawnmower tractor for example. A very capable device of killing a person but the safety kill switch is normally open and shorts out the magneto wire to ground in order to kill the engine. Hence a broken wire in that kill circuit will do nothing to save the owners life.

The kill switch circuit on this bike could have very easily been a switch that shorts the ignition to ground. I have seen Tons of safety kill switches based on this principle.

Installed a jumper for coil power, seems to have fixed it. Thank you guys very much I was in fear that are vacation was ruined. I can't express my gratitude enough!!! Thank you Hoople, I'm very grateful you were able to help us! I'll let you guys know how the rest of our trip goes
Thank you much! Dave

Back