free website stats program broke down | Harley Davidson Forums

broke down

sporty94

Whats up everyone!
First time on this site and need some help.
I was coming down a grade yesturday, spliting lanes in traffic down shifted and lost all power to rear wheel. Motor still running and was able to coast down. I can feel the gear when i shift put nothing to the rear. Should I be looking at clutch or deeper? Any help would be great!

Sometimes the locking plate screws cone loose and this will allow the splines on the trans pulley will strip out. If yours is chain drive the nut may loosen and you will have the same stripped condition. I would start by looking at the drive pulley on the trans.

Thank you for responding! It is chain primary belt secondary. So are you talking about the sprocket powering belt to the rear?

Yes the pulley on the trans. main shaft. I had a 94 softail that spun the splines off the pulley and it was caused by the bolts coming loose from the locking plate.

HD98XLH017.gif

Here you can see the lock plate and bolts, H D had some troubles in the early days of rear belt drives

The drive pulley is under the cover on the right side of the gearbox 3 bolts hold the cover on as the bolts are all different lengths just take note of their position on removal
That is how I remember it but it has been a wee while since I had that cover off

Brian

The drive pulley is under the cover on the right side of the gearbox 3 bolts hold the cover on as the bolts are all different lengths just take note of their position on removal
That is how I remember it but it has been a wee while since I had that cover off

Brian

Depending on what year bike you may need to move the rear brake line and loosen the master cylinder to get that cover off Brian mentioned, easy job take your time

Back