free website stats program Broke down on side of road showing 2 codes | Harley Davidson Forums

Broke down on side of road showing 2 codes

ironmark

I had to haul the bike home on a trailer today , that really bummed me out anyways there are 2 code showing up
P-1511 - power management mode
p-2135 - TPS correlation error

I think the p-1511 code is what come up when the bike goes into limp home mode
I have no idea about the p-2135 code I looked in the service manual & there was no TPS in the book that I could find there was a Twist Grip Sensor (TGS)which is the throttle control . Is the TPS the same as the TGS & where would the TPS be located at or is it part Throttle Control Actuator (TCA) ?? Anyways I could not clear the codes so the codes are current , I am hoping that a wire came off or something like that so I can get back riding soon .

TPS is the throttle position sensor on the side of the throttle body. Sounds like it went belly up. Number 4 in this pic.

Inductionmodule.jpg

I had to haul the bike home on a trailer today ...
This eventuality is briefly described in the owner's manual, but the resolution is not mentioned.

Turn the ignition off. Turn it on. Turn it off. Turn it on. Turn it off. Turn it on. Turn it off. Maybe repeat the cycle once more for good measure (I think it was four cycles required).

Leave the twistgrip alone the whole time and I think wait a good 10-15 seconds between cycles.

Does it fire right up and develop full power now? Likely so.

You didn't say what happened just prior to the incident. I'm thinking you'd killed the engine with the throttle partly open while parking the bike, then turned the ignition off and walked away, and this is what you found when you went to leave again. Happened to me just like that once (so far) on my '09. Next time I'm going to try just thumbing the starter again, let it idle a few seconds, then shut it down normally.

I'm sure it's too late now to edit my previous post. Look in the manual index for "Electronic Throttle Control". It's on page 42 in my '09 manual. It describes the different fallback modes but doesn't give the simple instructions to resync the TGS and "TPS" (which I'm pretty sure is built into the throttle plate motor on our bikes).

Hopefully, if your problem is more than just needing resync, you're still under warranty.

Doesnt resync them just resets it to what it thinks is zero.. theres a big difference .... and most time you get a high idle not codes and no restart

I need to practice my typing anyway, so for those of you who don't have ETC, here's some of what the manual says:

"ETC operation is designed for rider safety and continued motorcycle operation, even in the event of a component failure. The Electronic Control Module monitors the status of the grip sensors, throttle plate actuation and airflow. If any problems are detected, the motorcycle will disable cruise control, illuminate the engine check lamp, and revert to one of the following fallback modes.

ETC Limited Performance Mode

The rider will experience near-normal operation. The motorcycle will operate with provisions to guard against unintended acceleration.

ETC Power Management Mode

The throttle plate actuator returns to an "idle detent" or "limp-home" position, which will provide enough torque to achieve speed of about 25 mph. The motorcycle's response to grip sensor input is significantly reduced.

ETC Forced Idle Mode

The throttle plate actuator is forced to a "fast idle" position, which will provide enough torque to crawl, but not enough torque to operate at traffic speeds.

ETC Forced Shutdown Mode

The engine is forced to shut down."

Doesnt resync them .... and most time you get a high idle not codes and no restart
He didn't say he got no restart.

How many times have you had to do this so far?

I was parking at the edge of the pavement. I'd ridden off onto the grass and pulled up to the edge of the pavement. Wanting to pull forward a couple of feet and back back in straightened up a little, I fed the clutch out a little, gave a little gas, but not enough to climb the inch or so, so the engine died (gracefully-enough). I figured it was parked well-enough after all and just went inside after shutting off the ignition switch. That was enough to put it into the "Power Management Mode" described above. I think I left about 30 seconds between each cycle, for 4 cycles, and it took me a couple miles to catch back up to the group.

I didn't checked for codes at the time, at least not that I remember. Everything synced back up for me and it's been operating great ever since with no codes currently present.

He didn't say he got no restart.

How many times have you had to do this so far?

I was parking at the edge of the pavement. I'd ridden off onto the grass and pulled up to the edge of the pavement. Wanting to pull forward a couple of feet and back back in straightened up a little, I fed the clutch out a little, gave a little gas, but not enough to climb the inch or so, so the engine died (gracefully-enough). I figured it was parked well-enough after all and just went inside after shutting off the ignition switch. That was enough to put it into the "Power Management Mode" described above. I think I left about 30 seconds between each cycle, for 4 cycles, and it took me a couple miles to catch back up to the group.

I didn't checked for codes at the time, at least not that I remember. Everything synced back up for me and it's been operating great ever since with no codes currently present.

I know he didnt say not restart but i was point it out

how many time way to many to count at least once a ride till i took it in for the download and they resync'ed everything and added the delayed ecm power down and setting of zero throttle

Since then Not one time and it never tossed a code .. codes are stored for 50 ign cycles so they hang out awhile .. also never got a CEL light when i had the problems

The bike will start but it stays in the limp home mode & when the bike shut down I was going 65 mph , I tried to clear the codes & they would not clear . I will take a look @ the bike in the morning to see if there is a wire off & I will check the connections but if I cant find anything I will have to take it to the dealer . Also when the bike is in limp home mode you will be lucky to get 10mph & there is not enough power to go up a hill @ least thats the way it is with my bike .

Back