free website stats program Broke an easy out in a broken bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

Broke an easy out in a broken bolt

Dswartz

Everytime I start a simple project it turns into a nightmare! First of all this isn't a Harley question, I'm working on my minivan but I figured there would be enough mechanical knowledge here to help anyway. I snapped the head of a small, 6mm bolt. I barely put any pressure on it but the darn thing snapped right off. I decided to try an easy out....What a mistake! I ended up breaking off the easy out in the middle of the bolt. Now I'm really in a pickle because the easy out is hardened steel and I haven't had any luck drilling it out. has anybody else run into a similar problem and what did you do to fix it?

I have considered trying a carbide bit and trying to drill it out with that. I have also considered using a dremel tool and trying to grind the broken tool out of there. Once I get everything removed I plan on drilling it out and using a helicoil. Any thoughts?

Everytime I start a simple project it turns into a nightmare! First of all this isn't a Harley question, I'm working on my minivan but I figured there would be enough mechanical knowledge here to help anyway. I snapped the head of a small, 6mm bolt. I barely put any pressure on it but the darn thing snapped right off. I decided to try an easy out....What a mistake! I ended up breaking off the easy out in the middle of the bolt. Now I'm really in a pickle because the easy out is hardened steel and I haven't had any luck drilling it out. has anybody else run into a similar problem and what did you do to fix it?

I have considered trying a carbide bit and trying to drill it out with that. I have also considered using a dremel tool and trying to grind the broken tool out of there. Once I get everything removed I plan on drilling it out and using a helicoil. Any thoughts?
I think a carbide drill bit may be your only option. I've see this happen before so you'll need something as hard or harder then hardened steel to drill it out. JMO.

Last edited:
The only other option I know of is to weld a nut to what is left of the broken bolt, but that is far easier said than done with hardware that small. It is not impossible, but it takes the right equipment and a skilled welder. At work I have a set of left hand twist drills that I only use on broken hardware. Many times the bolt will come out when the tip of the drill breaks the surface. I rarely use easy outs because of what you just experienced.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is bolt a attachment or to secure a cover. If it is a all the way through type bolt, drill the whole thing out and then nut and bolt it.....
Best to you...:s

The only other option I know of is to weld a nut to what is left of the broken bolt .

I've seen this trick before but this bolt was nearly flush with the surface and nothing left at all to grab onto.

I'm going to give it a shot tonight with a carbide bit. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sorry i can not add any more to what has already been said apart from throw the easy out's in the bin one snapped on me many years ago and i have managed without them
Heat and an impact driver if any bolt is a wee bit difficult
Drill and tap a new thread or use a thread insert if head comes off bolt

Brian

The easy out bites going counterclockwise if you can get hold of just a small part of it a clockwise turn will loosen it up. If you can't grab it take a small punch and tap it side to side and it should loosen up.

The easy out bites going counterclockwise if you can get hold of just a small part of it a clockwise turn will loosen it up. If you can't grab it take a small punch and tap it side to side and it should loosen up.

Don has a good approach here, I have been lucky with this, you may add some heat around it also this will help to flake some of the old metal out as you use the punch. My best advice to any one having to use easy outs is Drill out as much of the old bolt as you can, drill as deep as you can, this will help take the strain off the broken fastener, many times the fastener will split in half giving up the original threads intact Good Luck

Dude, if you broke a bolt and then snapped an EZ out trying to remove the bolt, my only advice to you would be to start drinking heavily :D.
and hope you don't need to use the restroom, cause I'd be afraid to touch anything if I were you :p

Back