free website stats program Brembo front brake noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Brembo front brake noise

Troy1225

After using the front brakes to prevent the bike from rolling backwards, you get a clanking noise the next time you use the front brake to slow forward movement. This is caused by the brake pad striking the pad pin. The pad pin hole is too large and allows too much back and forth (not side) movement of the pads.

While helping a neighbor with brake pad replacement on a 2008 SG, I noticed that the rear brake pads were identical to the front pads but the rear pad pin was larger in diameter.

I purchased two rear brake pad kits and used them to replace the front brake pads on my 2008 Road King. I did not use the antisqueak paste, just the pads, pin and retaining clip. The pad pin from the rear kit is a little longer, but does not interfere with putting the caliper screen back on. The shoulder of the pin was slightly shorter but torqued to specs without a problem and the groove for the retaining clip was in the proper position. The pin is larger in diameter but still allows sideways movement of the pads.

The larger diameter pin has eliminated the clanking noise that used to occur with the Brembo front brakes :) I've put a couple hundred miles on since the pad replacement and have had no problems whatsoever. I'm very happy to be rid of this noise, it had aggravated me for two years.

I just replaced my rear brakes as well on my 09 SG. I do remember reading that the new pins now are larger whether it be the back or front.

Is there a PN for those larger pins? Did the larger pins just slide in on the front calipers with out any mods to the calipers? I have this same issue and been looking for a fix on my 09 RG.

Thanks

Is there a PN for those larger pins? Did the larger pins just slide in on the front calipers with out any mods to the calipers? I have this same issue and been looking for a fix on my 09 RG.

Thanks

You can't buy the pins seperately, they come with the pad sets. I got the larger pins by buying the rear brake pad sets. At the time I bought them, the front sets still had the smaller diameter pins. karbar99 says he heard the larger pin now comes with both front and rear brake pad sets, so you might want to check into that before you pay the extra money for the rear sets.

The larger diameter pins slide in without any mods to the calipers.

You can't buy the pins seperately, they come with the pad sets. I got the larger pins by buying the rear brake pad sets. At the time I bought them, the front sets still had the smaller diameter pins. karbar99 says he heard the larger pin now comes with both front and rear brake pad sets, so you might want to check into that before you pay the extra money for the rear sets.

The larger diameter pins slide in without any mods to the calipers.

"I do remember reading that the new pins now are larger whether it be the back or front."
I just remember reading this but check before you purchase and it could also be that HD may still have old stock for the Brembo front pad kit??

After looking in the 09 Touring parts book I see HD list pins seperately:

Front pin number is: 42849-08 (2)

Rear pin number is: 42865-06B (1)

Not sure if they are interchangable or not??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back