free website stats program Breather Kit for Arlen Ness Big Sucker | Harley Davidson Forums

Breather Kit for Arlen Ness Big Sucker

06SuperG

I have an 06 Super Glide Custom with Rush 2 1/4 Slip-Ons, PCIII, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and lots of chrome.
I get oil drippings on the exhaust and covers on the right side coming from the crank case breathers in the heads. The Big Sucker has vents into the intake. I've heard about "Breather Kits", but I don't see any that fit my bike with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I've seen articals stating the HD Scream'n Eagle has a Breather Kit, but I can't find it.
Do they make one?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Ness uses a passageway through the backing plate to vent the heads. As a result of that, it weakens the back plate also and I've seen a few break in this area.For this reason I prefer the SE stage 1 kit.
The breather kit I think you refer to in the SE line would not work with the Ness unit. It bolts up to the same place as the Ness unit does.

What I have seen done is to plug the breather passages and drill and tap the section where the head breathes into the backing plate and run a line to the atmosphere vented under the bike.

From Glider: What I have seen done is to plug the breather passages and drill and tap the section where the head breathes into the backing plate and run a line to the atmosphere vented under the bike.

Thanks for the replies, but I don't see a difinitive answer.
Glider, if I vent to the atmosphere under the bike, won't there be a chance of dire returning through the vent tube?

You're not alone. Did you check the "O" ring seals on the mount bolts and is your oil overfilled or do you do a lot of sustained high speed riding?

You could back the oil level down just a bit on the stick and see if that stops it.

Glider, What O-Ring seal. The oil is comming from the head vent, through the mounting plate on the AN Big Sucker into the venturi.
From here it should be drawn into the motor, but it's not, it leaks out through the air filter and out onto my bike.
The oil level is just below full - maybe 2 oz low.
I do not do alot of sustained high-speed riding.

I don't want to go with an added expense of another stage 1 air cleaner.

As far as trying something to see if it works, well it's December here in Iowa with 4 inches of snow last night and the temperature is
in the lower 20's, so I won't be out on the bike for a 2-3 months.

Where the unit buts up to the heads, there's usually an "O" ring in there to seal it. I wasn't sure from your post if it was leaking externally or internally like you just explained.
If you get a sizable amount of oil out the vents, it could be the head breathers up in the rocker box area giving you a problem. The intake should draw in the oil mist that is usually present there but if it is dripping out of the air cleaner, there could be a problem with the vents.
Is there any mods to the engine? Cam, exhaust etc?

Have a warranty?

Also check both of the mount bolts to see if they are drilled in the side so they can vent through the hollow bolt. There were some defective units where only one bolt was drilled so it vented only one side.

This may not help but I must say that I once owned an 03 American Ironhorse which came with a 113 cu.in.Evo.The heads were vented with a Y-shaped rubber hose that ran to the bottom of the bike and the excess oil would drain to the ground.(if not all over the frame)I then installed a fancy chrome backing plate and a super sucker air cleaner.The backing plate had front and rear(looking directly at the motor)breathers that weren't much more than small screens inside of them.Now the oil was dropping directly on my pipes.The set up was quite expensive and looked really good.In the end I just started carrying a rag with me and would wipe them off at red lights.Talk about vanity!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back