free website stats program Breather bolts... | Harley Davidson Forums

Breather bolts...

RK73

Hello,

2005 RKC I'm wanting to change air flow set up from stock to V&H unit. The stock breather bolts are on there like a mother. Any advice on how to loosen them up?

Last thing I want is to snap them, which is why I took a deep breath and walked away. :) I was thinking spray them with screw loose and use an impact gun to loosen but it seems like overkill. Although it worked well on the muffler clamps that were frozen and rusted.

I'll take what ever advice I can get :) thanks in advance for reading!

Soak them down with some P B Blaster, let it soak over night, try a heat gun before putting the wrench to them

Heat gun like ones user for paint stripping?

Yes a paint stripping heat gun will work fine as the cylinder head is different metal from the bolts they will expand with heat at different rates and it is then easier to brake the bond of any corrosion between the two take your time and get the area good and hot
An impact driver is also very good as the shock from the impact can shatter the corrosion bond
I use a hand impact driver on more delicate stuff and air impact on more robust stuff
If loctite has been used on the bolts when fitted the heat will make the loctite weak and impact will break the bond

Brian

While your out why not pick up another set of breather bolts, Just in case. Don't ask me how I know this would be a good idea.

A hand impact driver may very well be the most essential tool ever for a motorcyclist. I've had the same one for over 30 years and it still works great...

Take care,
Dave

Mission accomplished. Although going to harbor freight is bad. Go in for one thing walk out with half the wish list, especially since they were running a killer sale. :)

One heat gun $12, one set of deep socket sockets for impact gun $16. Headache avoided priceless! Was still a little tight after heat but was minimal effort with a quick hit of impact gun. Ahh the wildpigs can breath. Now to play with the gen3 to smooth things out a little.

I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread on settings folks have used...:)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Keep the heat gun close at hand as it has a lot of uses in the workshop but if any fastener is a wee bit difficult heat often helps it
Good to know you are past your initial problem without damage

Brian

Keep the heat gun close at hand as it has a lot of uses in the workshop but if any fastener is a wee bit difficult heat often helps it
Good to know you are past your initial problem without damage

Brian

A heavy duty soldering gun also works to apply heat to a bolt. It takes longer but works great if trying to heat a fastener that a heat gun might be inappropriate for.

Take care,
Dave

Back