Breaking in Softail Deluxe

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Randall K. Wilson, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Randall K. Wilson

Randall K. Wilson Junior Member

I have about 320 miles on my new '09 Softail Deluxe. After racking up about 80K miles on two Roadkings, it is amazing the difference in these two different model machines. I am enjoying the contrast as such.

Softail Deluxe: Notably luxurious, elegant and expensive, or

DEEEELUXE BABY !!!!!!

2. nolafishr

nolafishr Active Member

First 500 Miles not over 60mph, vary your speeds and work the Gears. After that just Ride it and enjoy it. Don't forget the 1000 mile service! I Love Mine also.

2008 Softail Deluxe - Anniversary Model

3. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

4. Carroll B

Carroll B Member

I broke in my Ultra using this method. I believe the article said the first 50 miles are the most critical. I was glad to see my bike only had 7 miles on it when I picked it up. An engineer at work use to work for a GM dealer in the 70's. Said they had to fly to Detroit and drive GM motor homes back to the dealer. They were allowed a certain # of hours to get them back to the dealer so they drove at a steady 55 pmh which was the max speed back then. He said every one of those engines used a quart of oil every 1000 miles because they didn't get broken in right.

5. Animal

Animal Active Member

I love the Softtail Deluxe and I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one. I think they are a very nice looking and great riding bike. Gotta win the lottery!