free website stats program Breaking in new Street bob question | Harley Davidson Forums

Breaking in new Street bob question

Kev93

I know a lot of people Change the oil early when breaking in a new motorcycle. Some say at 50 or 100 miles then at 500 and then 1000. I Wonder, Would it be only the engine oil changed at these intervals or all three fluids?

Millions of vehicles have gone billions of miles by following mfg. recommended service intervals. If changing it early makes you feel better, change engine, primary, trans. in that order.

Pete is right on, everyone has their own opinion what is best so it's your scoot you decide.
Personally if it were mine i'd put a thousand miles on before I changed the fluids. JMHO.

I waited til 1000 miles to change all fluids.Many feel that changing earlier is an advantage.I am yet to hear of someone who changed early, or at 1k, that found metal shavings ,etc.

I changed oil about 3 times the first 1000 mi ,I used a white gal jug with the side cut out so that I could see what came out. I saw some material in the bottom of the 2nd and 3rd change. On the 3rd change I picked some of the trash out, it was rubbery so I must have used too much thread seal. Where I was blind now I see.

Engine oil contamination can result depending on how long it takes to seat your rings. Ring seating depends on cylinder wear as well as thermal properties and cycles of hot and cold. Pull your dipstick and if it smells like gas is bypassing your rings, change the oil. We did this a couple times with a buddy's evo after a top end rebuild. We finally seated his rings in a day with heat cycles and rpm variance. Running up to 4500 rpm and letting off the throttle in 3rd gear followed by some full throttle runs up and down a 2 mile stretch through all the gears many times with cool off periods in between. Throttling hard and letting off forces the rings to the front and rear of cylinders wearing them to normal angular directional force conditions. His bike runs tight with no issues.

Typically rings will be seated at the factory by the factory "break in" procedure on their chassis dyno. The whole bike has seen 80-85mph before shipping the bikes to dealers. Heat and compression are required to seat rings and it won't hurt to vary speed as kdaddy describes and keep rpms under 4500 for he first 500 miles. Change oil and filter at 500 miles and after that, ride the bike however you want. and follow the manufactures recommendation for changing fluids.;)

Back