free website stats program Breaking engine in | Harley Davidson Forums

Breaking engine in

After taking one of the heads off to get to the valve tappets. I took it for a short ride (5 miles), checked for leaks, took it for another short ride (10 miles), checked for leaks again and all seems ok. I had changed from Harley 360 oil to Screaming Eagle Synthetic and the engine actually seems quieter than it was (Although the pipes still sound strong ). My question is do I have to go through a break in period before I start riding a lot or running it on the freeway?

After taking one of the heads off to get to the valve tappets. I took it for a short ride (5 miles), checked for leaks, took it for another short ride (10 miles), checked for leaks again and all seems ok. I had changed from Harley 360 oil to Screaming Eagle Synthetic and the engine actually seems quieter than it was (Although the pipes still sound strong ). My question is do I have to go through a break in period before I start riding a lot or running it on the freeway?

Shouldn't need any break in with what you did but why not use a good oil instead of the HD Synthetic which is a blend.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Check out the OIL self help forum too...

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

I changed the tappets on sportster a few years ago and as you have done did a few short runs and checked for leaks found none and after 100 or so miles i was confident that all was good
a daily check next 3 0r 4 riding days should be more than enough but you do need to get the engine hot to be sure

Brian

I changed the tappets on sportster a few years ago and as you have done did a few short runs and checked for leaks found none and after 100 or so miles i was confident that all was good
a daily check next 3 0r 4 riding days should be more than enough but you do need to get the engine hot to be sure

Brian

If you did not remove the pistons from the cylinders---fa-getta-bout-it :D

If you did not remove the pistons from the cylinders---fa-getta-bout-it :D

Lower rocker gaskets are a known regular fail area on the evo engines and you have to replace them when you lift the rockers off
as a known failure point best to check for at least 3 working days after fitting
Well that how i do it

Brian

Thanks for the replies. Everything is running good. I've put a couple hundred miles on it already and it's all good.

Contrary to what everyone says, my break-in is this when I have a motor build or do one myself, PROPER HEAT CYCLE - THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL IN MY OPINION AND THIS IS AN OPINION ONLY, I AM NOT SAYING IT IS RIGHT OR WRONG, AFTER THIS CHANGE THE OIL, RIDE 100 MILES EASY, CHANGE THE OIL AND THEN HAVE FUN. i NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS USING THIS METHOD, BUT MAYBE I AM LUCKY?

Please release the caps lock when posting and post in lower case.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is my advice for breaking in a new motor and how I do mine also.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accelerate from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + ) and coast back down to 30 again letting the engine do the breaking for the bike.
Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Change the oil and filter at 100 miles,then enjoy it.

What this does is to load both the top and the bottom of the rings forcing them out against the cylinder so that they seat evenly all around the circumference.

Also isn't the proper heat cycle a huge factor? I always used the heat cycle procedure from Zippers Performance. But I guess everyone does it different.

Back