free website stats program Break in tips | Harley Davidson Forums

Break in tips

I bought my first New Harley and was wondering what is the best way to break in the motor. Or do they come pre-broke in from Harley?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi Brian!

My name is Brian and I bought a Nightster a few weeks ago. The manual is helpful but I suggest not taking her revs up, drive different ways, (not all highway or short trips), don't lug her and generally treat her with kit gloves for the first 500 miles. If you hear something or feel wrong...take her to the shop. I hope you also plan to keep up the required service. I just took my girl out with my local BFG Chapter today and she performed great!

Brian i also own a 1200N, black and silver, great bike get's lot's of looks.. the only noise she make's other then the pipe's rumble are the fuel injector's anoying ticking at low speed's, asked the guy who delivered the bike about this and he said this was normal .Hmmm hope he was right, still have 800 miles to go till it's 1,ooo mile check up.RIDE ON...Todd.

Hey Brian - I can't comment on the 1200 Nightster but I had a 2006, 1200 Custom and traded it for 2007 Heritage Softail Classic and like all Harleys, they don't come broke-in. Just treat your baby with kid gloves the first 500 miles and especially, don't stay at one speed for long periods of time. Riding at different speeds allows the piston rings to seat properly and will result in better gas mileage in the end. I know it's tempting but don't "get on it" to see what she will do until you exceed 500 miles and then be careful doing that until you accumulate 1,000 miles. As the last gentleman stated, if you hear something that doesn't sound right, get her to the shop immediately. With proper break-in your baby will last a long, long time and will provide you with many miles of pleasure. Just remember, even the worst day of riding is better than the best day at work. Take care and enjoy. . . . . . .Bruce

Brian

You would be surprised if you knew how the factory ran these engines before they were shipped.
In any event, I like to take the new bike on to a road where there is no traffic and get it into third gear. From there you accelerate from 30 - 60 in third gear fairly briskly and coast back down again to 30. Doing this loads the top of the rings and the bottom of the rings both and forces them out against the cylinder so they seat well. Do this ten times and you will have a good seal on the rings and good service out of the engine.
From there vary your speed for the first 100 miles and don't hold a constant speed on the highway. Change your oil and filter at 100 miles and enjoy the ride.

Hey glider, Was reading your suggestion abot the "break-in" on a new bike.I own a new 2007 Heritage Softail that has about 320 miles on her. Is it too late to try that method you suggested about 30-60 and back down to 30 and do it 10 times to get a good ring seal? Also, you said then change the oil & filter at 100 miles. Isn't that a little soon on a new bike? Or was that a 'typo" and supposed to be 1000 miles? Also, where did ya get the info about that "break-in" proceedure? Just curious, never heard of that before. Take care & ride safe, Hi-Tek Rednek:42:

Hi Tek

That's the way I break them in and it seems to work, never had a motor that used oil and they always had a good power band.The rings need that power applied to force them out against the cylinder walls to seat properly or the seal will not be as good if you break it in easy.
I change the oil at 100 (one hunderd) because I feel that the castings have enough foreign matter from the manufacturing process that I want to get out of there. Just my personal preference. It's kind of cheap insurance and I use synthetics when I do it.After that I drop the oil every 2500 with a filter.

"Thanks" for the info "glider". I just might give it a try. On the surface, and the way you explain it, it sounds like it makes sense mechanically. Take it easy, Hi-Tek:33:

Back