free website stats program Break in Period | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Break in Period

Rough analogy DR. D., but your talking about engines that will be rebuilt in another 500 miles, so longevity isn't as much an issue for them as it is for us. Sorry to poke a hole in that one for ya! :s

Also most of the nascar engines are broke in on the dyno in a controlled enviroment

Rough analogy DR. D., but your talking about engines that will be rebuilt in another 500 miles, so longevity isn't as much an issue for them as it is for us. Sorry to poke a hole in that one for ya! :s

Like comparing human years to dog years. Yeah, they're rebuilt after 500 miles but that's 500 miles at 8 or 9000 RPM for hours at a time. I'll bet that equates to many more miles than we put cruising around on our rides.

Also most of the nascar engines are broke in on the dyno in a controlled enviroment

Doesn't matter if they're broken in on a dyno or not. I'll bet they still use a method similar to Glider's posting and don't just let it drone for hours on end.

Well, I'm a newbie to HD in that I have my first Harley - or what a lot of folks on this site might regard as Half a Harley:rofl. BUT, after 100 miles of by the book break in riding I saw the post by Glider on 30-60 in 3rd x 10 break-in. I took my Sportie up into the very pretty and quiet country roads of the Cotswolds after a nuts day in work and gave it the routine.

This was not ideal circumstances to do this in that I'd already put 100 miles on the new engine but boy does it feel different!!!! The whole feeling is smoother and slicker - maybe it's mind over matter, but I don't think so. I'm glad I did it the G way and I think it's the way to go to bed those babies (okay, okay half babies :D) in. It doens't feel like half a bike rolling around those leafy country lanes and once my TFI arrives I'll Stage 1 it with some valued help through this site.

Well, I'm a newbie to HD in that I have my first Harley - or what a lot of folks on this site might regard as Half a Harley:rofl.

Definitely NOT half a Harley.
If I could have 3 bikes and only 3. One of 'em would definitely be an 883 with a peanut tank.

I Love 'em.

Back