free website stats program Break in Period | Harley Davidson Forums

Break in Period

Harley says you should break it in for 500 miles.

Harley says a lot of things that aren't necessarily true. Too many lawyers and accountants involved in writing the manuals and P&A catalogs. Don't ignore the input and advice from the dozens of REALLY smart folks on this site.

It is yours, and you can break it in any way you wish.
That said, I will tell you with 100% certainty that the way you break it in will be the way it runs best.
With todays technology and EPA requirements, the faster and tighter you can mate the piston rings to the cylinder walls, the better off you will be.

Too late after 60 miles?

I rode it according to the moco manual for 60 miles, then came upon this post. Is it too late to use glider's technique?

Here's a thought on this whole engine breakin thing. In NASCAR, they basically build a new engine for each race. Does the engine builder run the engine nice and easy for 500 miles to get it broken in? Does the driver take it easy the first 100 miles on the new motor? He'd qualify last and be 10 laps down if he did! Granted, these motors are hand built and do not come off an assembly line but I'll bet their breakin is MUCH closer to Glider's than Harley's.

Back