free website stats program Brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes

I've never done a '02, but on my Evo Dyna, I remove the master cyl. cover and push hard on the caliper to get the pins in a little.
Then remove the two caliper bolts and lift the caliper, remove retainer, then lift the pads out. Then I gently push the brake pedal so the piston comes out a little. Soak a shoelace, or twist a rag into a thin strip, soak with brake clean and thoroughly clean the crud off the piston, then push piston all the way back in (patience, it's slow & stiff). Reverse for reassembly. Don't twist the caliper or hose any more than necessary while working with it.

The easy way is to pull the axle then you can lift the caliper off the rotor to work on it. You don't have to mess with the axle adjusters. Just get weight off the tire but still on the ground. At the right weight the axle will slip out easily and then back in easily. You can also do it with axle in place but not much room for working due to rotor. See attached, first loosen both # 7's. They take a 12pt. 1/4 socket. Do not loosen # 5's, they hold the caliper together and you will loose fluid and have to bleed brakes later. Once off the rotor you can then remove both #7's and pull your pads out. Notice the ears on the pads, they are different and go back the same way. See the pic, pointed ears are on the back side. You have to push on the pads slightly due to the spring/anti rattle piece #9.
tourbox

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 16
The above procedures is what I would follow.
The one thing not mentioned is after removing the master cylinder cover is to remove the brake fluid using a clean towel than when you push the pistons back into the caliper make sure the fluid coming back into it doesn't overflow.

Back