free website stats program Brakes OK i give up. | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes OK i give up.

Das Motorad

I put new front brakes on my RKing and I tried all the tricks except for the flipping the rotors. The things will not shut up. they just sizzle at all speeds. ???? I tried shims nope. I made shure the disc were alligned. the old ones began to squeak when stopping so I thought I would pur new dealer pads on them.

I just put my old ones back on and they work like a charm no squeak or sizzle....

Any suggestions?
Oh ya I have about 120 miles on them no hard braking and they have worn as expected. no high spots and making full contact on the rotors.

Hey glider. I did everything you have fore mentioned. No my rotors have not been flipped yet they are still on the factory side's 44156-00 on left 44153-00 on right I have not had a prob untill now, I installed Harley factory pads 44082-00D
I put my after market pads back on no sizzle at all ???
I'm clueless

Really can't tell from the part numbers, Is the left rotor on the left or right?

Factory are on the opposite side of where they belong (left on the right)

You may have to put some miles on them to burnish the pads.

I put new front brakes on my RKing and I tried all the tricks except for the flipping the rotors. The things will not shut up. they just sizzle at all speeds. ???? I tried shims nope. I made shure the disc were alligned. the old ones began to squeak when stopping so I thought I would pur new dealer pads on them.

I just put my old ones back on and they work like a charm no squeak or sizzle....

Any suggestions?
Oh ya I have about 120 miles on them no hard braking and they have worn as expected. no high spots and making full contact on the rotors.
Very similar to my experience. My old one where fine. My new front brakes (installed correctly) squealed. Tried different carbon make up, still squealed. No answer for me either. It's a bugga!

I've also had the squealing, and read the articles on flipping the rotors and shimming the pads.

I'd also read that a lot of folks had success with the red goop that dries rubbery on the back of the pads, so I tried that today. I did both front calipers, pulled the pads, cleaned them, cleaned and lubed the pad bolts, coated the back of the pads with the goop, let it all dry and put it all back together.

Net result.... not worth the time to do all the work. It was better for a couple of miles, then back to the noise.

I didn't switch the rotors as I just didn't feel like jacking the bike and pulling the front wheel. Maybe I should have! This is an 03 RG, BTW.

The pads will need replacement soon, so when the time comes I'll read everything I can find about which pads squeal and which don't. Maybe I'll get lucky.

For what it's worth: @ approx 1300 total miles on my bike ,front rotors started moaning and groaning. Local dealer flipped rotors twice. Proplem reappeared twice after 300 miles interval. After daeler checked with the MOCO, agreed to replace rotors free, with floating rotors. Had to pay for install, but no more noise in the last 3500 miles.

The noise are from harmonics and the floating rotors help to eliminate them. They are also a bit more forgiving if they rotors warp than standard one piece rotors.

Back