free website stats program brakes lock rear wheel. | Harley Davidson Forums

brakes lock rear wheel.

lagrato

Banned
1988 electra glide calassic, when rear brakes get hot in general use they start to sieze up, eventually locking the rear wheel bring all to a halt. When they cool they release. I can crack bleeder valve and they loosen up enough to move out of the road. I have bled the rear brakes and seem ok. Any Idea as to the issue here.? this site it is the cats patuty. thanks

Sounds like it's time to look into rebuilding the caliper. Also may be trapped air in the system too.

I had some years ago dirt in the caliper that prevented the brake oil from flowing back. Claning it solved my problem.

I agree, you need to rebuild your caliper. Or at the very least, clean the pistons. Before doing that, though, make sure any rubber lines you have have not collapsed inside. they are much cheaper than the caliper. I once had a van that one caliper would get so hot and try to seize that the wheel would start hopping up and down. not fun at all, but at least that had 4 tirres. Replaced the caliper, and problem solved.
In your situation, a locking caliper could be real trouble.
Jer

The rubber hose can come apart on the inside and make a flap that stops the fluid from returning to the master. If its the caliper, it can be rebuilt very easy

I would also suggest changing out the cartridge (rebuild kit) in the master cylinder. What you describe is NOT good. If you run out of gas, you have to push or have the bike towed. If you run out of brakes ...

TQ

Time to order a rebuild kit and do an inspect,clean and repair job on the rear braking system, I'd go from the m/c back, 20 yr old brake lines need a good check over too, only thing worse than the wheel locking up on ya is blowing a line when you really need it.

Back