free website stats program Brake ????? | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake ?????

ironmark

I know it will depend on your riding habits but about how long does your brake pads last ? Also is a after market pad better than the HD pads ?

My last bike had 30 k on the front pads.

Glider recommends Lyndall

Lyndall makes some real good brakes.

Lyndall Racing Brakes - The worlds best Brake Pads Composite Rotors --- Home ---

You can call and talk to Paul JR and tell him what you want and he will recommend the proper pads for your application.
They have low dusting pads in their line too.

I am sure others will disagree, but if you have had good service with the OEM brakes (30K is pretty descent) and no braking issues or unusual wear on the rotors, why change?...stick with the OEM ones. If you do change go to a single level of performce higher, say EBC or other aftermarket vendor...they offer slightly better braking performance at about the half the price of OEM. I would change things that do not impact the design as far as longevity, i.e. I changed out my brake hoses to HD Diamondback sheathed stainless steel braided ones to improve the "mushy feel" and flushed system with good clean brake fluid. Since I am getting good wear and excellent braking with stock calipers, pads and rotors, I will probably use new HD OEM parts to replace.

Thing is when you replace key high performance braking part that directly affects the swept area like the pads, you may find that they are harder on your stainless OEM rotors, or the pad manufacturer may want you to mate them to a higher perfomance rotor/caliper for full effect and your simple brake job cascades into a project.:newsmile093:

Doing a complete high performance design requires the system be reviewed to match and weigh the benefits, skill level, use and HD (Hundred Dollars) could turn into TD (Thousand Dollars), be careful out there... :small3d036:

Last edited:
I put Lyndall brake pads on my wife's Deluxe because of the wide whitewalls and brake dust problem with o.e.m. pads. They work great and put off so little dust I'm planning on changing pads on my new FLTR right away.

We use Lyndall and they are great pads. Mz Bling has a full floater (Sporty) and I have the stock (Street Glide) which has been polished. (Chromed) They do make a noise like little ball bearings or a bzzzzzz. (been told this is normal and have heard other bikes with Lyndall do the same when riding next to them) Might be something to consider.

Good choice for pads and full floating rotors design and yes, they do make that distinctive buzz. That is the first thing I noticed when I started riding metrics equipped with them. They allow just a few thousands extra movement opening up the calpers/pads more on release.

Most of us are familar with that constant swish or moaning sound most HD bikes have with fixed rotors and caliper/pads with a few miles on them when paddle walking their bikes in a parking lot. Less drag, no more "odd sound" and crisp braking is a very good thing.

I just put on new rear tire at my dealer...have 12k on bike...had them go ahead and change the rear brakes. Probably alittle early but they needed to be changed as I do ride aggressive at times and the dealer replaced them w/out charging me for labor as they had the tire off already. Anyway, my last scoot (06 Road King) I got about 22k out of my brakes.

Back