free website stats program Brake woes | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake woes

chrimes

I changed bars, rewired, and got the whole thing back together then did a fluid change on front brake. I changed to a one peice Goodridge braided line. I cannot seem to build any pressure in the brake at all. The caliper won't move. I had a neighbor come over and we worked on it for hours. The only thing I can think of is when I ordered the brake line and fittings I called about the bolts that attach to master cylinder and caliper. On my nightrain the bolts are standard. When I called about fitment they said the 10 and 12 mm bolts were so close that they would work. Could this be causing a loss in pressure making it impossible to bleed and pressurize? I'm baffled- and yes I've bled brakes many times before. Any words of wisdom would help- I read the bleeding threads in tech section but I'm still at a loss.

Try removing the brake line at the master cylinder and bleed the master cylinder first, will have to use a finger like a check valve when working the lever. Use lots of rags, could be messy. Just a guess, good luck.

Try using a large syringe with some plastic tubing on it and fit over the bleeder on the calliper
fill syringe with brake fluid open the bleeder and push the plunger on the syringe the brake fluid should flow in easily when resistance is felt the fluid has filled the system up to the master cylinder don't put extra pressure on or it will squirt out of the reservoir
should be good to go after that
ensure you have the correct brake fluid for your system

Brian

Look inside the master cylinder as you squeeze the lever do you see bubbles coming out of the port in the master cylinder, if not the master may be bad

Back