free website stats program Brake Squeal | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Squeal

90FXRS

Contributor
Ok.....I've changed pads on the Fatboy and they squeal like all get out. I cleaned the calipers and applied some anti-squeal grease and guess what.........they still squeal. I'm thinking of using some of the stuff I've used on disc brakes on cars. Any input?

I put a 45* champher on the leading edge of mine. I also use a light coat of bronze neverseize on the back of the pads. I have seen an aluminum damping pad for the back of the pads but I have not tried them.

I put a 45* champher on the leading edge of mine. I also use a light coat of bronze neverseize on the back of the pads. I have seen an aluminum damping pad for the back of the pads but I have not tried them.

Interesting idea. How much chamfer, like an 1/8" or so?
Does this work on all discs? I got some brakes on an off road car that could use this.

Also, (and I use this all the time) ALT + 167 will give you a genuine degree symbol :s

Take care and thanks for the tip,
Dave

All brakes squeal most of the time you will not hear them as the sound is out of the range of hearing that we have
If i buy brake pads for my bikes from HD they come fitted with anti squeal pads/shims to move the noise out of the range of normal hearing
On my car and when using aftermarket pads i coat the back of the pads with copper grease and that makes the squeal go away

Brian

Interesting idea. How much chamfer, like an 1/8" or so?
Does this work on all discs? I got some brakes on an off road car that could use this.

Also, (and I use this all the time) ALT + 167 will give you a genuine degree symbol :s

Take care and thanks for the tip,
Dave
Not to nitpick but alt 176 is what I use for the degree symbol.
WAP.gif

Hmmm.....

Here's my "alt 176" ░

And here's my "alt 167" º

Might be computer or platform specific???

Hmmm.....

Here's my "alt 176" ░

And here's my "alt 167" º

Might be computer or platform specific???
Nope I messed up...People expect me to be a weather man so I use the degree symbol a ton. I use Alt 0176............So the zero make a difference.
Apologies I think we are using 2 different fonts.

Back to the Squeal, that was one of the things about my new EBC pads that surprised me was how there wasn't that gritty sound or feel. I had .040 left but was worn a bit uneven. Wondering what brand our OP used on his install.?

Brake squeal is a harmonic most usually found from vibration(IE) if the pad moves it will produce this sound. It is important for all contacts to be cleaned and lubricated including the brake backing plate. The chamfer on the pad is also a good idea, especially if the pads you have do not have a center groove for the dust to escape. Cleaning the rotors and applying a non directional swirl will help some and re scuffing the pad surface also may help

Back