free website stats program Brake rotors and winter storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake rotors and winter storage

mnultra

I am concerned as the weather changes from winter to spring, and the temp in the garage changes from below freezing to fluctuating above and below, what is the best product to use so I don't develope rust on the rotors (or any unpainted steel surface) ? Will WD40 work as long as I use a good brake cleaner before the first ride?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would not use WD 40 it is actually a solvent not a lubricant. I have not had a lot of trouble with rust on my rotars over the winter. In the little vent holes i have had some rusting but i just use a small wire cone and a dremil tool to clean that up a couple of times a year.
As far as other surfaces, most everything is painted or aluminum. S100 makes a crosoin inhibitor that cleans off well in the spring. I just don't start up until I have had opportunity to give the bike a good wash in the spring.

Do NOT use any petroleum based products on the rotors or pads! Use Brakleen (non-chlorinated) or contact cleaner only. You will end up replacing the contaminated pads at the very least, or have an accident as lubricating friction surfaces is NEVER a good idea! HD rotors are non old-fashion cast iron, but a low percentage of nickel/chromium grade stainless steel so a little rusting may occur, but can be removed with nylon "scrubber". Since it is so light, most do not even bother as the brake pads buff them clean after a few gentle applications when the riding season starts anyway. :small3d009:

Back