free website stats program Brake/rotor question - Glider? | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake/rotor question - Glider?

patsfan

Glider, I know you have written several self helps in this area, but anyone with suggestions, please chime in.
I have an 08 Roadking/ABS that I recently did a chrome front end, polished rotors and Lyndall pads.
I am having a time getting the rotors centered in the calipers. I have double/tripled checked the forks install and performed the "Glider" fork alignment. I have cleaned the calipers and pistons and are operating properly. Master cylinder seems fine, plenty of brake pressure. No vibrations at speed although front end doesnt seem as "planted" as before (hard to explain/just a feel). No pulsing or hopping when braking.
Because of the rotor/caliper misalignment I believe these rotors are now warped. I'm getting excessive brake drag and the rotors are pretty hot, immediately after stopping, not to mention the rotors became discolored (slightly blackened) immediately after the first test run. With the front end off the ground and with both hands and a mighty push, I can get a little more than one full revolution, although the rotors seem to bind a little, slowing the turn. OK, now a couple questions:
1) Is there something I'm missing in getting these or any rotors centered in the caliper? * I can shim the right one to get it centered but the left needs to come outward a hair.
2) Assuming I can get the rotors centered, I am looking at putting on some HD floaters. Since the pads are pretty new, is it advised to also replace the pads or take some sandpaper to the existing pads, or leave as is?
Thanks in advance,

Patsfan

Spacers are correct, really only one way to install with these as the left is slotted for the ABS sensor.
Rotors were installed exactly lined up and torqued to spec as well as axle nut and clamp nuts.
Got the service manual and followed to the tee.
Is it possible the chroming process on the forks threw the specs a little off?

Since you have basically all "new" parts, are the pistons fully in their bores, the caliper centered at the "beginning" side of the stationary pins? It is important that you "start" with the calipers in the starting position, besides the alignment, otherwise brake pad drag will result.

Last edited:
Since you have basically all "new" parts, are the pistons fully in their bores, the caliper centered at the "beginning" side of the stationary pins? It is important that you "start" with the calipers in the starting position, besides the alignment, otherwise brake pad drag will result.

Not sure what you mean by "caliper centered at the beginning side of the stationary pins".
As far as pistons fully in thier bores, Yes, I always push back in all the way after I clean them.

Back