Brake pad Removal

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by ridetolive, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ridetolive

ridetolive New Member

I'm in the process of changing the rear brake pads on my 2000 Ultra. My problem is, I can't find the correct size socket that properly fits the two
    bolt "Pins" that secure the pads to the Caliper. Can someone please help
    a rookie machanic out.

Thanks,
    ridetolive

2. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

Not positive but I think a 10mm 12 point works. I don't know the torx size but either should work. The torx head is such that a 6 point socket won't fit.

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I just checked my '07 FLHTC. It's a torx E16. None of my SAE 12 points fit, and I don't have any metric 12 points to try. When you get the right size, be sure you don't put any side pressure on the bolt, my buddy snapped the tab off his fork, cuz he pushed laterally while twisting. :newsmile08:

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

You will need a 12 point 1/4" socket preferably 1/4" drive. I have tried a 3/8" drive but it was to thick. It will be difficult to find the 1/4 x 14 socket, craftsmen is supposed to have them but I ended up getting one from TSC.
    kemo

5. silentflyer

silentflyer Active Member

Self help and tips section, Sears has the right reverse Torx sockets...

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Ridetolive, take a look at this Self Help Tip, it calls out 1/4" 12 point socket and from experience, the Sear Craftsman type have full broach thin wall construction to get in close and tight. Price is right too! :newsmile093:

Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Touring) - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Ride to Live; Sorry for the bad info, I didn't read your post carefully enough, thought you ment removing from fork legs. :newsmile011:

8. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

Is a 09 Heritage that much different? I just bought a set of 12 point metric sockets and I need the 10 mm for everything on the caliper. However, I need a 7/16 on the reservoir to take the line off.

9. kemo

kemo R.I.P

11 mm socket or wrench should work on 7/16" fitting.
    kemo

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

You are correct Geezer, I remember 10mm/12 point Sears Socket was recommended in one of Glider's posts on the subject, and Kemo has you covered with alternative metric equivalent....just make sure the fit is good and snug.:s