free website stats program Brake Pad Question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Pad Question

Never saw rear pads be identical to the fronts...EVER. Reason, rear pads are intentionally smaller, as is the disc because you just don't need that much stopping power in the back (controlled stops typically are 70% Front 30% Rear)...so the demands are so much less...! Personally if the OEM maker (in this case HD) does not use the same formula for front and rear and basically put all their R&D experience on the line with safety compliance boards looking over their shoulder, do you think an aftermarket company "knows better" and is REALLY willing to stick their neck out and use the same part numbers?...don't think so, and would NEVER use the same pads for the front on the rears...unless the OEM ones are used and they have it in writing!

Both my Ultra and Dyna have the lines on all pads. I have replaced all pads on the Ultra so far, and all replacement pads have the indicator lines. You have to get lined up where the view looks straight down the length of the lines to see them. Using an inspection mirror and a flashlight, the front pads are fairly easy to see. The rear pads take some contorting, but if you keep at it, you will find a position where they are visible. If you have HD pads, the lines are there if not worn away.

Glider, I noticed you pictured "EDC" pads, do you prefer them over others ?? I also know the different Mfg offer different pad materials... Which do you prefer ?

No particular reason other than showing the wear indicators. Lyndall brakes are top of the list IMO.

Appreciate the help. The only thing, the brake pads are new and i did use some of that backing sealant when i installed the new pads. I will remove them and try again.

Never saw rear pads be identical to the fronts...EVER.

Softails use the same pads front and rear and are the same part number.
I have replaced both the front and rear many times with the same part. There is a difference between the tabs on the inner and outer pad but otherwise identical.

Well, if the HD part numbers ARE identical than as my post said, it is justified...but it kinda begs the question, why do you need so much braking in the rear or the converse why have so little braking in the front. :small3d007:

But then, I answered my own question...early Harley customizers sometimes had very little or no front brake at all because they did not like the big ugly brake hardware marring the looks of the custom front wheels, and dirt trackers skipped brakes entirely...who needs pesky brakes anyway! :newsmile030:

Last edited:
Back