free website stats program Brake Pad Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Pad Question

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway.

I'm out in the garage doing my 10,000 mile service and I'm down to "Brake pads and discs - Inspect for wear." The expanded section of the service manual says, "Refer to the wear indicator lines for a general indication of pad wear."

When I contort my head enough to get a direct look at the pads with a flashlight, I can see a good portion of pad remaining. Can't really measure it but I'm conservatively estimating 1/16 inch (.0625) and the manual says to replace when worn to .016. My real question is this - I can't see any evidence of a wear indicator line on any of the 3 sets of pads. Like I said, there is pad material left but it's solid from front to back with no lines showing.

With new pads installed should you be able to easily see these lines? I'm planning on replacing the pads and fluid before my Daytona trip next month anyway. Just curious about those wear indicator lines - should they be gone with 9400 miles on the bike?

Thanks!

I have never seen a wear indicator on any brake pad. Even if there was it would soon be covered over with brake dust and road grime and you would most likely never see it. If you feel comfortable with what you see OK but if you think that you are border line, you should change them.

Generally on a lot of pads but not all there is a cut down the middle of the pad material that can be seen from the top when viewing the pad and that is used as a guide to the thickness of the pad left.

Generally on a lot of pads but not all there is a cut down the middle of the pad material that can be seen from the top when viewing the pad and that is used as a guide to the thickness of the pad left.

That's what the picture in the service manual shows, and I'm assuming that's a new pad. I see no lines so I figure I'm worn past the wear indicators and it's time to replace, even with some pad left.

Here's something weird - I just went online to check prices for new sets of brake pads and the picture of brand new OEM HD pads did not show any of these mysterious wear line indicators. Must be some pads have them and some pads don't. Guess my bike came with the type that don't.

I've never seen the indicators on any pads I have used/replaced and I have done them
many times on two different 2002 Heritages, mine and my buddies.

Not all manufacturers have the wear lines in the pads. EBC is one of them that do have them.

736210.JPG

Last edited:
Not all manufacturers have the wear lines in the pads. EBC is one of them that do have them.

736210.JPG

I understand - I just find it confusing when the HD Service Manual mentions something and even shows pictures of something which does not exist on my stock brake pads that came on the bike. Just trying to keep us on our toes, I guess!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 07 manual it give a thinkness to check the pads, not a line.

Brake Pads
If brake pad friction material is worn to 0.04 inch (1.02 mm) or
less, replace the entire set of pads.

Back