free website stats program brake pad failure | Harley Davidson Forums

brake pad failure

Andysdad

My 05 EG had front brake failure, luckily at low speed - brake lever back to the bar. At the time I thought it was low fluid so topped-up, tested OK and continued my holiday!

The next day, same again; then found the pad material had come off the backing plate on both pads on one disk! The low fluid level was simply because the pistons were right out of the caliper.

Apparently there was a batch of 05/06 pads that fail this way - yet H-D has never done a recall of this safety system failure!

I'm fitting after-market pads now and in negotiation with H-D.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen this failure before? (Apart from my bike; previous owner had new rear pads at 3000 miles due to "pedal going to floor" - sounds the same failure to me).

A

My 05 EG had front brake failure...
... then found the pad material had come off the backing plate on both pads on one disk! The low fluid level was simply because the pistons were right out of the caliper.

Apparently there was a batch of 05/06 pads that fail this way - yet H-D has never done a recall of this safety system failure!

I'm fitting after-market pads now and in negotiation with H-D.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen this failure before? (Apart from my bike; previous owner had new rear pads at 3000 miles due to "pedal going to floor" - sounds the same failure to me).

A

Wow, bonded pads coming loose from the backing...haven't heard of that problem for years (was one of the worries old timers had) from the "riveted pad days"...where did you hear about a "batch of 05/06 pads failures?"...might help with your working with HD. :eam

Last edited:
So, I'm pulling my front pads out tomorrow and cleaning up the caliper by the link on this site. I planned on stopping by the HD shop for a new set of pads tomorrow. Should I go aftermarket now?

Exactly the reason why I dont like ABS on 2 wheels.They havent perfected the pads yet but people dive in thinking this ABS thing is the greatest since sliced bread.

Pad separation from backing is not "new" tech necessarily...as they were introduced in the 60's...very little to do with ABS whcih came much later. Regarding the year 2000 Fatboy and later, there a certainly a lot of aftermarket pads including the MOCOs' own are pretty good, and certainly better than the 05/06 batch claimed to have issues. If you are looking to equal or exceed OEM quality ...Lindell, EBC and others would fill the bill nicely as an alternative.

Regarding the year 2000 Fatboy and later, there a certainly a lot of aftermarket pads including the MOCOs' own are pretty good, and certainly better than the 05/06 batch claimed to have issues. If you are looking to equal or exceed OEM quality ...Lindell, EBC and others would fill the bill nicely as an alternative.

Oh, I understand. It was more of a batch problem. Thanks.
images

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Glider - I'm in the UK; there has been contact by others with VOSA (NHTSA equivalent) on this subject - I will add to the correspondence!

The comment about a faulty batch came from a Service Manager at a Dealer; not H-D themselves.

I've bought EBC pads all round - better stopping and I trust them!

As I said, this looks like the second failure on my 05 bike; there may be some still out there.....what amazes me is that, if there is a faulty batch, H-D never did a recall. Also that no-one has died - no front brake could be fatal; given the US attitude to product liability and $$$$$ settlements, I'm amazed that H-D is so calm about it.

A

Self preservation and keeping the shareholders happy...how many times have you seen mediation statements that begin with "--without admitting guilt or wrong doing, XXXX Company has agreed to settle claims in the amount of $xxx,xxx" a company spokesman said..." Usually later you will see in their annual report "--excluding any charges (LOSSES) for settling $xxx,xxx the shares. Certainly a lot cheaper just to ignore that problem if the incidence does not hit "astronomical proportions."

Latest from H-D UK Customer (Don't) Care - they consider the matter closed as it is “not replacement of defective parts”.

So, I'm taking it up with VOSA (UK's equivalent to NHTSA).

I'm still interested to hear from anyone who's heard of similar failures.

A

Back