free website stats program brake pad clip | Harley Davidson Forums

brake pad clip

oseita

I just pulled the rear caliper on my 04 Sporty to replace the pads and noticed that the pad clip was missing. Is this clip important to the function of the rear brake or does it only serve as a "anti-rattle" type clip like those on a car?

I would definitely state that all brake components are important even anti rattle clips. As a combined whole of parts is when brakes work the best. It may give the pads some stability if pads are only held in with one pin.

I agree with above. Unless that clip proved to me it was a poor design, it would be going back in.

My first question is why is it missing to start with?. If I purchased the bike New, and it had a brake job at a dealership or an indy, I would be asking why that clip was not put back in. If the bike is 2nd hand, just buy a new clip and install it.

I agree that the clip should be installed. The main purpose of the clip is to keep tension on the pads to keep them from rattling, as far as affecting braking performance I don't think that it will make any difference. Your call.
kemo

Appreciate all the responses. I readily agree that if it was there to begin with then it is a necessary part. I did indeed buy the bike used and am finding out more and more as I try to maintain it, i.e. that the previous owner did not have a clue about servicing the bike:bigsmiley29:

That is an anti-rattle clip...BUT it also pushes downward on the pads evenly so they do not bind when you apply leading or trailing braking which will make it ride up or down on either side of a "properly lubricated guide pin" by keeping them partially centered.

Check that pivot pin and make sure it is not worn on one side, if so, you found the reason why the spring should NOT be missing.

Back