free website stats program brake noise | Harley Davidson Forums

brake noise

mikefxst

Banned
ok my brakes are scraping but its coming from the inner bracket. I have a 2005 fxst but it has a '99 fxst front end and caliper i dont have a manual for this set up but i am noticing now that the pads have gotten a little lower the inner bracket that the inner pad sits on is hitting the brake rotor. the rotor does have a slight pulstaion but i wouldn't think it be warped enough to hit the bracket the weird part is that the pad does not seem to exit the brakcet fromt the inner side.the pad has at least and 1/8th in. left on them i even tried to smooth out the edges of the pad where it might contact the bracket and to no avail still is hitting.the spring that puts tension on the pad still seems fine and i smoothed out the edge on the pad and lubed up the spring clip with anti-seieze also. went for a ride and the backet is hitting the rotor again. even tried to see if the wheel was moving on the axle and causing the rotor to slide in and hit the bracket but it did not move and while on the lift witht he front wheel suspended if i hit the front brake after makeing sure there is clearence it will cause the bracket to move in near the wheel along with the pad and hit. i dont know this set up so does anyone have a pic so i can see if i'm missign something or is something hittin and causing the bracket to the rotor?

'99 fxst front caliper

HD0020056.gif

hard to see that diagram glider is there a better pic
thanks though

Mike,

Click on the bar, then click on the image. Should zoom in and clear up the diagram.

Let me make sure I understand what you have. You took the complete front fork from a '99 fxst (brake calipers, rotors, wheel, fork tubes, etc.) and put them on your '05 fxst, right. So the only place that the new bike interfaces with the old bike is at the neck (and the brake hydraulic line), right? Were the brakes working on the '99?

Something is not jivin'.

TQ

Mike,

Click on the bar, then click on the image. Should zoom in and clear up the diagram.

TQ

Maybe that's what I don't understand. On this end the pic is stretching out the thread oversize, you see it small?

I have to scroll to the right to see the entire pic.

Mike,

Let me make sure I understand what you have. You took the complete front fork from a '99 fxst (brake calipers, rotors, wheel, fork tubes, etc.) and put them on your '05 fxst, right. So the only place that the new bike interfaces with the old bike is at the neck (and the brake hydraulic line), right? Were the brakes working on the '99?

Something is not jivin'.

TQ

I'm with TQ ____ If you can click on the image Glider has posted it should go to a "exploded view".

i have a 2005 fxst i was in an accident they put a new aftermakret front end on (complete front forks, rim "still 21 in.",and brake caliper with rotor.) i only have a manual for a 2005 basically 01- on up to 06 i cant see the figure Glider sent to me the lines are jagged and i cant make out what is what even if i click on the link and it blows up more its still hard to see. i'm gonna try replacing the rim and rotor tonight with the old one i had previous the accident. i was looking and there is no real way for that bracket to be moving that the pad sits in being the caliper holds it up to the lower forks and the pad sits in that bracket. but i cant see the axle or rim moving enough to allow contact to the bracket but i might be wrong.

Ok my appology i can see it now i did not realize that it was not expanding when i was clicking on the pick after clicking on the link. thanks for the help

Last edited:
Back