free website stats program Brake Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Noise

Steve Di.

I just changed the rear brake pads on my Heritage and now have a low frequency vibration when making slow-speed stops. This vibration is strong enough to be felt through the bike's frame.

Is this a bleeding issue? The reason I ask is I had to bleed the brakes twice to remove all the air in the system.

Is this a pulsation? were the old pads worn at an angle? Possible warped rotor, or harmonic from no shims on pads or anti rattle clips

It could be that the new pads are sticking a wee bit although i havent seen the newer types of brakes as my bikes are older
just an area to look at

Brian

There is no pulsing and the brake pedal feels firm. The vibration is more harmonic in nature and can be quite strong. I bought the pads from the dealership and am surprised that they didn't come with harmonic shims.

There is no pulsing and the brake pedal feels firm. The vibration is more harmonic in nature and can be quite strong. I bought the pads from the dealership and am surprised that they didn't come with harmonic shims.

Try some sil glide on the back of the pads it will help the harmonics:D

I always paint the back of any brake pads with copper grease it sort of prevents harmonic vibration and so stops brake squeel and stops the pads from sticking to the piston

Brian

The pads should have come with the shims AND anti-rattle spring/retainer. I would check your kit for the Service Instructions which should be inside the box as well. It has a list showing what it comes with. Were the pads in the "Genuine HD" Box, wrapped in dessicant paper/sealed packaging with the HD Installation Notes neatly folded within?

The pads should have come with the shims AND anti-rattle spring/retainer. I would check your kit for the Service Instructions which should be inside the box as well. It has a list showing what it comes with. Were the pads in the "Genuine HD" Box, wrapped in dessicant paper/sealed packaging with the HD Installation Notes neatly folded within?

You are correct, except the pads didn't come with shims and the instructions didn't mention shims. When I buy pads for my truck, they come with a small tube of blue anti-squeak paste.

The next time I head to the H.D. dealer I will ask them about this. I will bet I have to buy the stuff separately.

I just changed the rear brake pads on my Heritage and now have a low frequency vibration when making slow-speed stops. This vibration is strong enough to be felt through the bike's frame.

Is this a bleeding issue? The reason I ask is I had to bleed the brakes twice to remove all the air in the system.

Go to the auto parts and get some Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube it is a synthetic lube ( item # 24110 ) . Paint the back of the disc brake pads with the permatex and all is good , the permatex is much better then the stuff that comes from HD and it last longer . Also there is no need to bleed your brakes when replacing the brake pads the piston on the caliper will push in easy without opening the bleeder or anything else that would allow air in the system .

Back