brake mistake

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by hog up, Jul 2, 2014.

1. hog up

hog up Member

my first time changing rear brake pads on 02 softail(done by dealer previously). removed wrong bolts, larger ones, and inside of caliper loosened by about 1/2 inch. fluid leaked out of caliper so I tightened 3 large bolts, then loosened 2 smaller bolts and replaced pads as I should have done in the first place. reservoir is full but pedal goes down all the way and pistons don't push out. did I ruin 'o' ring inside caliper? thanx 4 help, hog up

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

There is a possibility that the small o ring or rings between the halves became unseated. Is the caliper leaking while trying to pump up?
    tourbox

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If the o ring is correctly seated ie there is no leak then you will need to bleed the system to remove all the air that got in while it was apart

Brian

4. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

As fin said, even if the o-ring is intact and properly seated, you will still need to bleed the system.

5. hog up

hog up Member

thanks guys, everything worked out well. no leaking from caliper, bled brakes and took a short test ride. also to fin 676, ive been to Scotland on vacation and you have a beautiful country. thanks again, hog up

6. 03HD883R

03HD883R Active Member

Glad to see you got it fixed. You actually didn't do any harm... every once and a while it's good to get some new fluid in them lines.

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Mistakes are all part of learning. You will definitely know for next time. Do not ask how I also know..........

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good deal, I remember back when I had to split my first import caliper to do a rebuild, I was scared. The key is keeping things clean if there is a groove the o ring sits in make sure it is clean and lube the o ring