free website stats program brake master cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

brake master cylinder

maniac2313

does anyone have a picture of the internals of a front brake master cylinder for a 79 fx lowrider 1200 shovelhead?
i had to rebuild mine put it back together the way it came apart (so i thought) and i cant get any fluid to come out to feed the brake lines to even try to bleed... ive tried to search and cant find one and i finally broke down and ordered a manual but it hasnt came yet any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome Maniac2313 to HDTimeline forum for riders, enthusiasts and those who want to understand their V-Twin ride better. I will try to get something to you shortly, but a little more info is needed. When you took apart the M/C did you ONLY use 100% alcohol and/or fresh brake fluid to clean all the parts and prewet/lube all the o-rings and seals with fresh brake fluid only when assembling and gravity flush all the brake lines and internal hardware up to to and including the caliper?

Hopefully you used NO shop towels or rags of any kind that had lint or petroleum contaminants, just straight brake fluid flush, or things will deteriorate and swell said seals, o-rings and boots, causing sudden latent failure...

1979-1983_MasterCylinder.jpg
1979-1983_M-C_Designators.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks WYW...try to do the best I can, really had to pick and scratch for this one :D

you guys are great thanks for the speedy replies...
i know to only use alcohol and brake fluid i am an auto tech and have done it for cars before. got all of everythong out of the system... the only thing is i need the diagrams for the front m/c not the rear...Thanks again for the help you guys rock!!!

the little rubber cup was just a tad too tall :small3d015: i cut it back a hair and it works perfectly :D
thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maniac2313, sorry I did not get back in time to get the other jpegs made for the front brake m/c...! Very good to hear you got the problem sorted...:D

you guys are great thanks for the speedy replies...
i know to only use alcohol and brake fluid i am an auto tech and have done it for cars before. got all of everythong out of the system... the only thing is i need the diagrams for the front m/c not the rear...Thanks again for the help you guys rock!!!

the little rubber cup was just a tad too tall :small3d015: i cut it back a hair and it works perfectly :D
thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have it already, but here is the pix:

FRONT BRAKE CONTROL - DISC BRAKE - 1973 TO 1981 - 1979 Harley Davidson FXS-1200

You might want to mark this page for the future:

1979 Harley-Davidson FXS-1200 OEM Parts, 1979 Harley-Davidson FXS-1200 OEM Replacement Parts - BikeBandit.com

TQ

hi i see u have access to brakedown diagram. i have 78 flh rear master cylinder i am rebuilding have rebuild kit and it has piece not in master cylinder. need to know if was left out. please help from my understandings all rear master cylinder from 58-79 are same rebuild kit. i have rebuild kit eastern parts. 41762-58

Back