free website stats program Brake Lines | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Lines

I have a 1991 Fat Boy, My question is I had to move my floorboards forward 2 inches because I had my ankle fuzzed and it will be easer for me to shift.
My question is the brake line for the rear, What are most people doing to extend the brake line.? Can you buy a brake line that is extended out of the hard tubing, Or do I need to go with the Braided Stainless line. Seams like a waste of money to go with the Stainless cause you wont even see much of it running under the bike. Thanks.

I have a 1991 Fat Boy, My question is I had to move my floorboards forward 2 inches because I had my ankle fuzzed and it will be easer for me to shift.
My question is the brake line for the rear, What are most people doing to extend the brake line.? Can you buy a brake line that is extended out of the hard tubing, Or do I need to go with the Braided Stainless line. Seams like a waste of money to go with the Stainless cause you wont even see much of it running under the bike. Thanks.

http://magnumoriginal.phuconcepts.com/brake_lines.htm Have a look here, if you have experience with steel brake lines and a flaring kit you can build your own lines also:D

Thanks Jack ! I will go there and check it out.....

You can also use a union to sput another piece of line in to make your existing line a bit longer, I do believe these lines to be 3/16th lines, unions and steel lines are available at any good automotive shop:D I have been building brake lines for years, with a bit of practice it comes pretty easy, Good luck and check back in:D

Now this is something that I can do. do you think that a auto parts store would carry what i would need or should I go to a brake shop and see if i can get the parts there. ? thanks again Jack

Now this is something that I can do. do you think that a auto parts store would carry what i would need or should I go to a brake shop and see if i can get the parts there. ? thanks again Jack

Napa, Car Quest, any of the bigger chains should have what you need, Dont forget the proper dot brake fluid:D

If i remember correctly the mount bracket for the master cylinder is welded to the frame and any kit for relocating the master cylinder should contain a suitable length brake pipe however a longer rod between the pedal and the master cylinder would be the easiest solution just leave the master cylinder where it is
My bike is a softail custom so it may be different

Brian

Thanks again Jack.
I will go in the morning and pick this stuff up, This is an easy fix I don't know why I didn't think of it.
I am tearing my bike down this weekend to move the floor boards forward and now that I have got the brake line solved. I should be ridding by late Saturday. Thanks So Very Much.....

Well I haven't took it apart yet so I am not sure how it is mounted, Why would they weld it to the frame?
These things do go bad and need to be replaced at times. But thanks for the tip. I will be working on it Saturday, And I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I needed a hard line for my Shovelhead. I took the old line to NAPA (to make sure I got the correct threads). They had sooo many hard lines, in every length,
I ended up spending less than $10 for the line.

Fin said "the mount bracket" for the master cylinder is welded to the frame.

It is the mount bracket that is welded to the frame it is a bracket that has a large square hole in it to remove the master cylinder you need to disconnect the brake line undo the big nut and slip the master cylinder out of the bracket that is after you have disconnected the reservoir feed pipe and the actuation rod
Extended reach kits from Harley should have a new mount bracket as part of the kit that is incorporated in floorboard mount

Well that is the way it is with the extended reach kit for the foot peg models i am just suspecting it is similar with floorboard models

Some aftermarket kits leave the master cylinder where it is and use a longer rod from brake pedal to master cylinder

Brian

Back