free website stats program brake light trouble | Harley Davidson Forums

brake light trouble

xxwide

i have a quick question for you guys,i have a 93 fxdwg and my brake light does not come on when i press the rear break,i have forward controls on it.the brake light works when i use my front brake though...any ideas is there a fuse for that or a switch that needs replacing..or is that what its supposed to do...:eam

I would check the switch .. look around the rear brake lever / master cylinder for it

There's a switch that is inline for the rear brakes. Start at the rear caliper and work forward along the line. You'll find it up forward by the trans. Pick up a new one after crossing the two wires that are on the switch to see if the light comes on as a test for a bad switch, then if it's the switch unscrew it and replace it with the new one and bleed the brakes.

good i will check it out in the morning i just noticed it today..i have put about 500 miles on it since i got it.i always use both brakes anyways but i still what to fix it asap..because it will drive my nuts.me knowing there is something not working..i will have it fixed in the morning i will let you guys know ...thanks again guys...you guys are better than a service manual:D

Is that better regarding info, or just plain better looking...we are okay with either! :D The other cause of brake light common problem is the wiring that goes underneath the fender within a metal channel/clip that can sometimes "chafe" or cut open the wire between the switch and the tail light, so if you have a good flashlight and continuity checker or DMM it will help...ALONG with a good manual $60 at your local HD dealer...it is worth the price of admission as money well spent. But maybe this link will help:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/742-wiring_diagrams_online.html

got it working today it was the switch,put a new one on and changed brake pads on front and rear also ,and bled them ,then took her for a 65 miles ride...50 degrees but that wind is strong this time of year 20 to 30 mph today .blows you all around...alot when you pass a oncoming semi. thanks again guys.ride on

Back