free website stats program Brake light stays on | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake light stays on

harley@16

Has this ever happened to anyone? My brake light stays on and so far I can't find a cause. Thinking maybe a switch malfunction. It's not the bulb, the circuit before the fender harness connection is energized. What to do next...

Check the rear brake light switch for signs of leaks for starts:s

Check and make sure the front switch is not sticking, You can unplug it at the brake lamp switch also, , but I would bet its the front one.

either of the switches would be my first thought. Reach up under the rear fender and wiggle the wire harness that runs to the breaklight. may also pull the tail light and check the connection there for corrosion or signs of heat.

have you had the hand controls off lately? the switch for the front break is easy to break/misalign.

The rear switch is on the R. side behind the footboard, close to the exh. Pull one of the wires off and see if the light goes out. If no, then it's the front one. You can get a rear brake switch at any auto parts store .

The rear switch is on the R. side behind the footboard, close to the exh. Pull one of the wires off and see if the light goes out. If no, then it's the front one. You can get a rear brake switch at any auto parts store .

This is what I thought, thanks Breeze. Nice to know about the replacement.

Did you change out the grips but forget to put the small cardboard (5/32") insert between the brake lever and lever bracket?

If it breaks, it'll keep the light on.
Then you need a switch replacement.

I did replace the grips, and followed the directions as you described. When I was done the light worked perfectly.

If everything checks with your front brake switch after lever readjustment and you are assured the switch is not broken from your grip install. Then, it may be your master cylinder is corroded and not providing enough force from the plunger to the brake lever to keep the switch closed when the brake isn't applied.
Either way, you have an open switch condition, whether the switch is broken or the brake lever is not making contact with the switch.

Back