free website stats program Brake light stays on | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake light stays on

Rockkin

My upper brake lever is loose and my brake light stays on or sometimes it will flicker. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or do I have to take to the dealer?
My bike is a 2009 FXDL.

A little clarification...do you have damage in the Master Cylinder housing/brake lever pivot area? Inspect pivot/housing (cast aluminum) or the lever itself is bent or has evidence of scrape marks? Check the little "nib" that is underneath the brake lever pivot area.

If someone disassembled without putting a penny or shim under the lever, the brake switch may be damaged as well. Use the Self Help for tips or the Search tab...typing brake switch lever to find related threads. You should be able to diagnose problem.

The other deal is the switch is easily replaced, but you have to disassemble carefully, there are small parts that can fall out if you don't do this and in a clean area, they can be hard to find crawling around on the shop floor...!

My upper brake lever is loose and my brake light stays on or sometimes it will flicker. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or do I have to take to the dealer?
My bike is a 2009 FXDL.

Do you know for sure that the loose lever is causing the brake light to come on. Can you wiggle the lever (Not apply any front brake) and the stop light will come ON.

Reason I ask is because my brake lever is also loose but to make the brake light come on, I must pull the lever and apply some front brake. Just the fact that my front lever is flapping a bit does not turn on my rear stop light.

Do you have replaced anything in the right side of the hand controls? Switch not damaged? Sure you have not lost the small V clip that pushes the switch against the housing? If you haven't done anything in that housing, follow the Admiral Nelson's advise
WAP.gif

I took bike to the dealer today. It cost me 120 bucks to get the brake light switch replaced. I thought I was saving myself some money by replacing my grips myself,boy was I wrong.

I took bike to the dealer today. It cost me 120 bucks to get the brake light switch replaced. I thought I was saving myself some money by replacing my grips myself,boy was I wrong.

So what did they say was wrong with it to charge you 120 bucks?

A learning lesson, its OK we have all been there, now have a good look @ the self help section and save yourself some time and some money:D

Don't get discouraged - ALL of us have done something semi stupid that triggered unplanned expenses.

Get yourself a service manual, read instructions multiple times, refer to this forum frequently, and don't rush ANY job.

Back