free website stats program brake light/running light hooked up backwards | Harley Davidson Forums

brake light/running light hooked up backwards

marlin39d

I recently got the rear fender of my '05 Fatboy repainted. I dropped it off at the bike shop next door to the paint/body shop and they removed and replaced the rear fender after it was painted.

I just went out after dark and I noticed when I started it up the tail light was awfully bright. When I hit the brakes it gets dim (only one filliment burning when I brake).

Everything under the lense looks plugged in right. I dont think you can even plug it up the wrong way if you tried.

Can anybody shed some light on what's wrong and how to correct it?

Wow almost sounds like the filaments are reversed. The running light circuit is using the brake filament and the brake circuit is using the running light filament.

Those bulbs are keyed to go in one way. Is it possible someone jammed the bulb in place, opposite of the key.?

Sounds like a bad or floating ground. How is rear fender grounded? A new repaint could have covered the grounding spot on fender.
I know on old cars that use frame ground with one wire for power, if ground is bad, lights will do funny things searching for a good ground. I.E. making other things light up that ain't supposed to. Just a thought.
wilks3

Possibility when the fender was swapped, the plug on the end of the harness under the seat had to be removed because the plug will not fit through the hole in the fender and the wires could have been inserted improperly back into the plug when it was replaced with the new fender.

Just a matter of checking the color coding on the plug and swapping them if this is the case.

Well whatever the (EDIT) wrong with it, it's over my head. If it involves wires and/or electricity I pretty much give up before I get started.

But I don't feel like a complete (EDIT) because this has got my MMI trained Harley Davidson master mechanic bumfuzzled too. I bet he'll will get it figured out pretty quick though.

Stay tuned and as soon as I figure out what the problem is I will post it and the fix in case somebody else has this problem.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem found!!!

Turns out it was the front brake activating switch needs replaced. He put his ohm meter up to the switch and it was giving all kind of wacky readings.

I'm also putting on a Lepera 2-up Sillouette seat and getting some Heritage Classic style handlebars to replace these awful beach bars that were on it when I bought it. This should be much more user friendly for me when I get it back.

Long live the softail and the people who love them...

I read this post & I learn something new every time. Thanks for sharing that with us forum readers.-Tim in MI.

That doesnt sound like it would cause your problem sounds more like a bad ground or the pins reversed like glyder pointed out but please post the results of replacing the switch good luck

Back