free website stats program Brake light-not just tail light-always on | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake light-not just tail light-always on

Whiterook

My brake light stays on continuously, just as if i always had the brake on. I can slightly PUSH the brake lever (at handlebar) forward and the light will flicker and sometimes it will (for a moment) dim to the taillight level. It's like the lever is wired backwards or something. Any ideas out there?
2007 FLSTC Heritage

thanks!!!!!.

It sounds like the brake light switch in the switch housing is broken. If anyone replaced levers without shimming the brake light switch, then this could be the problem. It could also be the switch has been unseated from it's mount and you would have to open the switch housing anyway to check that out.

Last edited:
Glider has you covered, and that brake light switch also relies on a small copper wedge that pushes the backside of the switch opposite the "nib" that contacts the lever as Gliker stated. Needless to say, if you do service on the levers, housing and such, use great care, those little parts you can't see are tricky is you don't know, or have service manual to do the deed.

Very good, gentlemen. You were correct. $60 for the part and half an hour labor and it works well. Thanks!!

Great, it's funny how a little piece of cardboard can save $$$ & repair time. I wondered thjis when reading my handlebar grip replacement instructions (what's the reason for small cardboard), & realized into the project it retains the lever switches to protect from damage. Good ending on your part.

Back