free website stats program Brake light help | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake light help

bikecurious

Hello all,
So Earlier today I realized my back brake was not lighting up my brake light. then I rode about 30 miles and now my front wont light it either.
My running light is just fine.
I removed the lens and took a look at the bulb.
the inside wire,(obviously my brake light) was not broken but also didnot light up like the outside wire....
Any advice? I need her fixed asap...she's my only form !
:bigsmiley30:

Check the plugs in the tail light housing, I have seen water level halfway up and the lamps were still working...!

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/11107-tail_light_wiring.html

I would also look into the condition of the stop switch in line with the brake hose for the rear (common for them to fail), check out post #14 by Hoople...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/34751-rear_brake_light_switch.html#post328656

And for the front stop switch plunger type near the master cylinder/lever. Do use a penny or shim to space the lever out and prevent damaging the plunger nib.

Last edited:
turn the ignition on and pull the brake lever in. Do you hear a click when u do this? If no sound its your brake switch, Easy to replace right above right passenger foot peg on the frame

I would try another bulb before going further. Even though the wire looks intact, the bulb could be bad.
Then start trouble shooting the cause.

Or just hook up a VOM and have someone apply each brake lever (or use a tie-wrap to hold it engaged)

Or maybe the Brake light is staying on, meaning the the brake switch in the rt switch housing is broken?? Just a thought. I see it often.

Hey!
Thanks for all the advice! So I ended up replacing the bulb and the entire plug.
Now the front works, but the back still does not engage the light. Would this mean the rear switch is done for? i dunno, i kinda like it this way, I can brake while also flashing my light to attract attention from cagers behind me....but in the long term I should probably fix it haha

Hey!
Thanks for all the advice! So I ended up replacing the bulb and the entire plug.
Now the front works, but the back still does not engage the light. Would this mean the rear switch is done for? i dunno, i kinda like it this way, I can brake while also flashing my light to attract attention from cagers behind me....but in the long term I should probably fix it haha

Yeah your rear brake switch as most likely failed.I see it too often. To make sure unplug the two wires from the switch. Turn the ign on and touch the 2 wires together. If the brake light illuminates the switch is bad and needs replaced.

Back