free website stats program Brake Light Flasher | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Light Flasher

gs34

Is anyone using any of the brake light flashing units from comagination Motorcycle Headlight Modulator - Brake Flasher - Headlight Solid State Relay
I've been toying with incorporating a fash unit to make the brake ights more visible. I'm just trying to settle on what I want for sure. :eam
Right now I'm thinking about an LED fender tip light tied in with the stock brake light and adding the flasher unit to work with both.....:newsmile04:
Comments??:bigsmiley6:

JMHO but I would go with just a brighter setup on the light as opposed to the flasher. We all know that it doesn't take much to confuse someone behind you that may be on the cel or texting someone.

I have used one for about four years now. However, mine is Kuryakin. I had noticed the local police flashed tail lamp and a LED strip mounted above their plate. I first wondered if the rider did that by tapping 3 times. Then I saw one of their bikes in at my local dealer and got to talking to the mechanic about that and found that it was actually a device. I installed one on my Heritage and took it off when I traded it in. I installed it on my Street Bob and it works fine. There are different models, but mine makes the turn signals come on with the tail lamp. Sort of like having 3 tail lamps. You can have it flash or just be solid. So far it is holding up. That is four years of no problem and it just plugs in to the rear fender harness. It might not do that much in daylight, but I ride home from work at 1AM five nights a week and I like to think it is visible to any in back of me. I think all brands do about the same thing. I do not know which one is actually the best. :)

I ride with a guy occasionally who has a Kuryakin unit and I will say, it does get your attention.
I wouldn't say it bothers me...but it does draw your eyes to it.
That (to me) is a good thing!
I know another who has the HD run-brake-turn unit and it also draws your attention.
Not as much as the flashing unit though.

The main thing that stays in my mind is when they see the light go on (if they do) and then it goes off between flashes, this is the critical time IMO that someone behind you would think you are off the brakes now and ram you.

Personally I think they help. As posted earlier, many Police bikes use them. I have the Kuryakyn's. Family members who have been in cages behind me say they are attention getters and are not confusing at all. I've had no complaints from folks I ride with...in fact, seveal have asked about them and are planning to get them.

JMO

ps. I was rear-ended at a stop sign by someone not paying attention. I wish I had the constantly blinking police flashers at the time. It might have caught his attention. (Also wish I had been more vigilent about watching the rear-view mirror so that I could have taken evasive action. My bad.)

Last edited:
I think the LEDs show up better in the sun light and the flashing catch's your eye. I have a kuryakyn on my wifes bike and I ride behind sometimes and I like it

I had the same concerns with drivers being confused as well. At the same time I had someone lock up their brakes behind me who wasn't paying attention

I settled on Rivco's "Back Off" Brake Light Signal Module. It cycles by flashing 3 short flashes, followed by a steady light for almost 4 seconds, then repeats. Does this as long as the brakes are applied.

The website claims this pattern was chosen because of it's ability to capture and retain a drivers attention....I don't know about that, however I haven't heard any more tire screeches behind me either.

Back