Brake light 06 Sportster 883L?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by onich28, Mar 15, 2009.

1. onich28

onich28 New Member

I'm chopping the rear fender, and removing the original brake light. I have a side mount plate holder with a light, and will be using the original rear turn signals. I've searched through the various threads, 2 of which helped the most. I've also searched for my year's schematics. I just wanted to double check to see if my assumptions are correct.

I looked at these threads:
    Tail Light Wiring - Harley Davidson Community

wiring new taillight turn signals - Harley Davidson Community

(Couldn't post link need more posts, but i inlcuded titles)

Here is what I've come up with. I should try to relocate the assembly under the bike or the seat in order to keep the blinkers working properly or is there a way to bypass the assembly? The wires are the same for both blinkers purple and black.
    Splice into the brake light wires for the after market brake light.

I was trying to figure out how the rear assembly worked since it looks like there is a circuit card betweent the black case and the assembly housing.

I'm a mechanic by trade, I work on construction equipment, I know how to work on electrical systems...just not motorcycles. Yet. Thank you in advance. You guys have a wealth of knowledge!

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The circuit card in the tail light is just to simplify the hookup on the newer bikes. There's also plugs in there for added equipment too. Just use the circuits that enter the light for the tail/brake and ground.

Tail Light Wiring - Harley Davidson Community

3. onich28

onich28 New Member

Thank you:worthy