free website stats program Brake fluid? | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake fluid?

flipper

Account Removed
I am getting really frustrated now. Somewhere, I read or heard, that dot 5 brake fluid (silicone) should only be used when doing the rear master cylinder rebuild. I have a 2009 Heritage.....no ABS. I am seeing in my manual that I should only use dot 4. What do you guys recommend? I know that manuals are sometimes generic. Heck, it talked about ABS and that isn't even an option on my bike, so why should I believe them when they say only dot 4? That's why I am asking you, the experts.........

The cover of the rear master cylinder has the correct DOT# to use. DOT4 is a hygroscopic fluid which means it can absorb water where the DOT5 as you know is silicone based and does the opposite, it repels water. You cannot mix DOT4 with DOT5 since they are not compatible. You can switch to DOT5 to prevent corrosion and avoid eating the paint off anything it touches, but a complete and I mean complete system flush should be performed. Check the cap and only replace the fluid with what's already in there.:s

Only use what your master cylinder is stamped with, also buy only the smallest bottle of fluid you can use in a short amount of time. Once opened the clock is ticking, the fluid will start retaining moisture, discard the rest if you cannot use it all:s

I learned the hard & expensive way. When it says on the can "compatible with ALL brake fluids"... just remember the name,,put it back on the shelf,,, and RUN!..:)

Back