free website stats program Brake fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake fluid

trent627

I have a 05 sportster 1200 custom and when I press on my foot brake ,my brake lite wont come on only if I use my hand brake it will work. I want to ck the rear fluid but i am not sure if the bike has to be straight up or does if have to been on the kick stand. Any suggestion will help. It show a little above low on the kick stand .Also what is the correct fluid level , it shows low and high on the side cover

I would put my bike upright to check the level and if it is near low then it would tend to indicate that the brake pads are near the end of their lives or you have a leak in the system
if the brake works ok but the light does not come on then the brake light switch will be faulty
if you follow the brake line back from the master cylinder you should find a barrel shaped object coming out of the brake line it will have 2 wires attached to it that is th switch remove the 2 wires attach them together turn power on if the brake light comes on then the wiring is ok and the switch is faulty replace the switch

Brian

As Brian said...
- and if shorting the wires does nothing, then its your wiring and/or connector(s).

Rear brake light switch!!! I've gone thru 4 on my 05 sporty and my indy mechanic says when they switched to the newer style on sporty and dynas they were/are junk. The last one he got for me is an aftermarket brand and is so far holding up.

Rear brake light switch!!! I've gone thru 4 on my 05 sporty and my indy mechanic says when they switched to the newer style on sporty and dynas they were/are junk. The last one he got for me is an aftermarket brand and is so far holding up.

#1 on this Hoople has a test for it:s

Do you happen to recall if your switch has the Banjo bolt built right into it or is it just a switch with a 1/8" male pipe thread?

Back